If the fall season was a sign of things to come for the spring, the Michigan women”s golf team can begin talking to its travel agent now for deals in May to the state of Washington the site of the 2002 NCAA Championships.

The Wolverines claimed their fourth title out of four fall events yesterday at the Hatter Fall Classic in Orlando. The four wins are a school record for most consecutive wins and also for most tournament wins in a season.

“It is one of the top five wins in my career,” said coach Kathy Teichert. “This is definitely a great team and you know what, I”d say it”s actually top three.”

Michigan was led once again by junior Kim Benedict, who tied for fourth with a score 231. It was the third time this year that Benedict has posted the Wolverine”s best score.

“I”ll do whatever it takes to win,” Benedict said. “The team victory is a big boost of confidence. We know we deserve to be up there with the other top teams in the nation.”

Michigan began play Saturday six strokes back after the first day”s score of 316, but recovered with two straight days of shooting 305.

“You”d like to have every round get better and better,” Teichert said. “I thought (the two scores of 305) were good scores given the tough pin-placement on the course.”

Leading the comeback was senior LeAnna Wicks, who herself had to bounce back from a rough first day. Her 86 on day one put her in 61st place, but like all good players she didn”t allow her first round to affect her second and third day”s scores of 75 and 76, respectively. Wicks” 237 earned her a tie with fellow Wolverine Laura Olin for 14th place.

Also placing high for Michigan was Cortney Reno who took sixth place overall with a score of 232, one back of Benedict. Seniors Misia Lemanski and Bess Bowers equaled each other”s score of 240 for 27th place.

“I was kind of frustrated with the course,” Reno said after posting a round of 76 on the final day. “The pins there are kind of tricky. After the first two days I made sure I was patient.”

The Wolverines will now take a well-deserved one week vacation from golf before starting their winter training. During that time they will rely on indoor hitting, as it will soon be too cold to practice outside.

“The winter practice will be important with our weight training and conditioning,” Olin said.

This will be the freshman Olin”s first winter training as a Wolverine but it will also be a new kind of first for many Wolverines they have never had this much success going into their three month hiatus.

“We”re going to have to really work hard to continue playing well,” Teichert said. “The first tournament back will be tough for us. There is a big difference hitting off grass and hitting off mats.

“Winter will also be a time to reevaluate our goals. Everyone will be able to add onto them after the success during the fall.”

When Michigan does return to action in the spring it will be going into events against Ohio State, currently No. 1 in the nation, and Michigan State, the conference champions, for the first time all season.

“They have very talented teams and we”re looking forward to playing them,” Teichert said. “But equally we have a team just as talented. This group of student athletes have brought the program a long way. It”s become expected for everyone to play well.

“They”re good and they know it.”