Two-thousand is a magical number for Stesha Selsky.

The senior made history last night when she became just the third player in Big Ten volleyball history and the 25th NCAA Division I player ever to record 2,000 digs.

Selsky reached the historic mark with her ninth dig in the first game. She tallied 20 digs on the night.

“For her, it’s not only a good game, it’s a great career,” Michigan coach Mark Rosen said. “When you put in perspective . that’s just amazing.”

Selsky’s outstanding performance was one of many in Michigan’s 3-0 victory (30-19, 30-16, 30-23) over visiting Iowa.

The Hawkeyes countered Michigan with a unique offensive style, but the Wolverines took control of Iowa (1-13 Big Ten, 9-16) early on with solid blocking and defensive prowess.

Unlike many of the Wolverines’ opponents, the Hawkeyes took balls to the corners and tipped others right over the top of the net.

Michigan responded fluidly by rotating players around the court and protecting the net with a defender ready for the quick tip.

The adjustment served the Wolverines well. While recording 11 team blocks to Iowa’s 5.5, Michigan surrendered the lead just once the entire match.

The Wolverines (7-7 Big Ten, 19-7 overall) kept their heads clear against the Hawkeyes, who sit at the bottom of the Big Ten standings.

“I was most pleased with our consistency,” Rosen said. “I thought our team played very steady all night long, which is hard to do when you’re overmatching somebody. It’s sometimes hard to keep that mentality, but I thought they did a really good job.”

Michigan jumped to an early lead in game one with an 11-4 run. Senior Katie Bruzdzinski tallied six kills and Selsky contributed six digs to stifle the Iowa attack.

The Wolverines further established their dominance in the second game with a strong passing attack. Michigan took a 22-9 lead and forced Iowa to use both of its timeouts in an attempt to regroup.

Freshman setter Lexi Zimmerman was central to the Wolverines’ offensive attack. Her hands touched practically every ball that went over the net. She recorded 39 assists, four kills, and 10 digs in the win.

“Lexi’s done an excellent job this year she’s doing an excellent job for a freshman, taking the pressure very well,” Selsky said. “She’s very fast, she’s very intelligent and she gets the ball to our hitters really well.”

Iowa tried to gain momentum in the third game when it trailed the Wolverines by just one at the 12-11 mark, but Michigan rallied to take the game 30-23.

Michigan will head to Madison Friday to take on physical powerhouse No. 11 Wisconsin and then Champaign Saturday to face Illinois.