The Wolverines are ready.

After a long offseason followed by weeks of practice, the women’s basketball team is eager to get into the swing of things. Last weekend, the Wolverines had a closed scrimmage against Wayne State, but the team will get its first chance to play in front of a crowd tomorrow at Crisler Arena, when it hosts an exhibition against the Dominican Republic National Team.

“I’m very excited,” Michigan co-captain LeeAnn Bies said. “It seems like we’ve been practicing for eight months now, and I’m ready for the games to just be here already so we can show people what we can do.”

Michigan coach Sue Guevara expressed similar feelings of excitement for the game.

“We’re ready to roll. At this point in time, after almost a month of practice, you’re ready to play against some other people,” Guevara said. “This is the real thing.”

Despite its “exhibition” status, Michigan will not take the Dominican team lightly. The team is approaching the exhibition no differently than it would any regular season game.

“We’re going to try to win the game,” Guevara said. “In my mind, it’s just like any regular season game.”

“The regular season counts (in the standings). That’s pretty much the only (difference),” Bies said. “We do scouting reports, we do the same warmup, preparation and meal. Just at the end of the season, the exhibition doesn’t count.”

Michigan will not be the only stop in the United States for the Dominican team.

On a Midwestern tour, the National Team has faced four other Big Ten teams (Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern), losing to them all by margins ranging from as many as 37 points in West Lafayette to as few as eight in Champaign.

While most Michigan players have not taken the time to see how their conference has fared against the Dominican team, junior Jennifer Smith took the time to check out the results of some of the games.

“I expect to do just as well if not better than any other team,” Smith said.

In preparing for her team’s exhibition, Guevara said her staff has been going over stats sheets from the Dominican team’s other games against Big Ten opponents this season.

The coaching staff also has scouting reports and tapes, although they have considerably less than they would against other opponents.

Their exhibition against the Dominican Republic is the Wolverines’ only preseason game before they tip off the regular season against Creighton on Nov. 22. Despite the regular season being just a week away, Guevara is still hesitant to name a starting lineup.

“I’m not even going to venture with that until we get closer to game time,” she said. “It’s been very competitive in practice. I’m looking for people who are consistent. I like the phrase ‘Performance is reality,’ because that’s what I get to see in practice.”