It took a couple sterling scores to keep the Michigan women’s golf team in contention at the Big Ten Tournament in Glencoe, Ill. this weekend. And one of those scores came from a somewhat unlikely source.

Freshman Alyssa Shimel set a Michigan freshman record with a four-round total of 302 at the Lake Shore Country Club.

But Michigan finished the tournament in eighth place, posting rounds of 311, 308, 302 and 302 for a total team score of 1223 — just two strokes behind seventh-place Indiana. Michigan State took the tournament title with a total score of 1180.

Heading into the first day on the course, Michigan was seeded at No. 8 against No. 7 Illinois. And by the end of the day, the Wolverines were still in eighth.

But some of Friday’s competition was met with thunderstorms, and the rest of the match was postponed until Saturday.

“The conditions were tough, but (the team) kept grinding and all had great attitudes,” Michigan coach Cheryl Stacy said. “We’ll all take away a lot as gain for the future.”

Michigan was one of just four teams that got through that second round Friday before play was stopped due to the weather. Still eighth after 54 holes, the Wolverines had their sights set on the sixth spot — just three strokes behind Minnesota and four behind Indiana.

In round three, junior Meagan Bauer shot her sixth sub-par round of the season at one-under, turning in the low score for the team at 71. On the front nine, Bauer shot par on seven holes and birdied twice, pushing her into the top 10. She began Sunday’s final round tied at ninth place with Ohio State’s Vicky Villanueva.

“I was pretty excited after that round, but I just kept thinking about the team,” Bauer said. “When I go out there, it’s for Michigan.”

In the final round Sunday morning in Glencoe, Bauer shot four-over to finish her final round at 76. With four bogey’s in the front nine, she finished up the weekend with an individual total score of 302, good for a 14th-place finish alongside Shimel.

Shimel shot par on the first eight Sunday and birdied the ninth hole. Despite three bogey’s on the back nine, she finished her final round at 74, giving her the all-time best round for a Michigan freshman in the Big Ten Tournament.

“Both of the freshman played really well, as well as Megan,” Stacy said. “I’m really looking forward to those players that are returning. We’re a young team, and we’re on the way up. They played with a lot of heart and I give them a lot of credit.”

The team expected the Big Ten Tournament to be the end of the road this season, which only added to the excitement of Monday’s news. The Wolverines were chosen to advance to the NCAA Regionals, making it their ninth bid in 11 seasons.

“We just found out and everybody is extremely excited,” Bauer said Monday evening. “Especially with no school, it’s just practice to focus on our game from here on out.”

Michigan will compete for a spot in the national championship on May 5-7 at the Central Regional at Warren Golf Course in South Bend, Ind.