Thomas takes fifth at EMU Fall Classic

In the final event of the regular season, the Michigan men’s cross country team sent six runners to Eastern Michigan for the EMU Fall Classic on Saturday.

The Wolverines, led by junior Nick Thomas, held three of the top 10 slots. Thomas finished first for Michigan in the 10,000-meter (non-scoring) event, covering the Dexter, Michigan course in 29:57. The fifth-place finish also earned Thomas the final spot on the nine-man team, which will represent the Wolverines at the Big Ten Championships next week.

Freshman Nick Kern took eighth place with a time of 30:40, followed by redshirt sophomore Geoff Burns who finished in 10th place (30:52).

Michigan heads to Madison next Sunday to kick off postseason competition at the Big Ten Championships’ 8,000-meter race.

Moody earns first collegiate victory at EMU

Redshirt sophomore Kourtney Moody landed her first collegiate win this past Saturday at the EMU Fall Classic.

Moody led the No. 21 Michigan women’s cross country team, finishing the 5,000-meter event first overall with a time of 18:14.33 and trimming 41 seconds off of her previous 5000-meter time.

The Wolverines closed out their regular season by taking all of the top-three finishes. Behind Moody, redshirt freshman Mackenzie Adams finished in second place with a time of 18:16.75. This was Adams’s first collegiate race after joining the team just the week before.

Freshman Taylor Pogue finished third at 18:19.78 in an unattached effort.

Michigan initiates postseason play next Sunday, as the team heads to Madison for the 6000-meter event at the Big Ten Championships.