For the first time since 2004, the No. 5 Michigan rowing team is on top of the Big Ten.

After four of the six races on Sunday in Indianapolis were completed, the Wolverines sat in third place, needing victories in the first and second-varsity eight races. Michigan was down by 13 points to first-place Ohio State heading into the final two events.

The Wolverines inched closer to the top when its second-varsity eight boat cruised to a victory in its race. They never trailed, jumping out to a lead from the beginning of the race and won by eight seconds. The win narrowed the gap to seven points behind the Buckeyes.

And in the final race of the day, the first-varsity eight clinched the title for Michigan, beating Ohio State by more than five seconds.

The Wolverines finished with 147 points, just two more than the Buckeyes and 15 more than third-place Wisconsin.

The championship is the fifth in program history.

Earlier in the day, the Wolverines took third place in the first and second-novice eight races, and the first-varsity four in addition to a second-place finish in the second-varsity four race.

Three Michigan rowers earned first-team All-Big Ten honors: seniors Julia Darnton, Emily Eiffert and Felice Mueller.

The title all but ensures a bid to the NCAA Championships, and Michigan will find out its fate in the Women’s Rowing Selection Show on Tuesday.

The NCAA Rowing Championships will take place May 25-27 in West Windsor, N.J.