After Tuesday’s upset over reigning national champion, No. 4 Akron, it looked like Michigan’s early-season struggles might’ve been a fluke.

But after a 2-1 loss to San Diego, it looks more like the Wolverines’ upset was the fluke after all.

The Wolverines (1-3 Big Ten, 5-11-1 overall) were quickly overmatched, as the Aztecs jumped out to a 1-0 lead just nine minutes into the game. San Diego’s first-half attack didn’t let up. The Aztecs outshot Michigan, 6-3, in the opening stanza.

With just minutes left in the first half, San Diego State was inches away from doubling its lead when a header from inside the box clanked off of the crossbar, sparing the Wolverines.

Twelve minutes into the second half, junior defenseman Kofi Opare deflected an Aztec cross into to the goal for an own goal, putting San Diego ahead for good.

Michigan showed more fight in the second half, with three shots on goal and a flurry of scoring chances in the game’s final 15 minutes.

The Wolverines finally broke through in the 78th minute via the foot of freshman forward Matthew Rickard. The Aztec’s goalie was able to get a piece of Rickard’s free kick, but the ball found its way to the back of the net for the freshman’s first career goal.

Redshirt sophomore midfielder Noble Sullivan nearly tied it up with six minutes left, but his shot from 10 yards out was saved by the sprawling goalkeeper. Two minutes later, sophomore midfielder Fabio Villas Boas Pereira fired another shot from inside the box, but his attempt soared wide left and Michigan was unable to put together another chance as the final minutes ran out.