The Michigan men’s track and field team experienced success at home this past weekend, as it turned in six top-two finishes at the Silverston Invitational. The field events led the way, with event wins by senior Sean Pruitt in the shot put and freshman John Greenlee in the pole vault, and second-place finish by junior Robert Peddlar in the long jump.

On the track, the Wolverines were led by second-place finishes from junior Nick McCampbell in the 60-meter hurdles and sophomore Nick Thomas in the one-mile run.

With the Big Ten Indoor Championships next on the agenda for the Wolverines, the Silverston Invitational was the final chance for the Wolverines to assess their talent.

“This was a typical week before Big Tens for us,” Michigan coach Fred LaPlante said. “We’ve been in this position before. Because we held some people out, some guys who normally aren’t the top guy in their event were the top guys today. It’s a different experience for them. The important thing is we came out healthy, and we’ll be ready heading into next weekend.”

Heading into next weekend, Michigan is expecting strong performances from the runners, throwers and jumpers. The Wolverines know that they’ll have to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to attack the deep competition
in the Big Ten.

“I feel real good about the way we prepared,” La Plante said. “We aren’t focusing on one team or one athlete. There are nine other teams you are going to be up against, so you can’t do that. We’ve competed hard so far this season, but there’s going to be a variety of competition at Big Tens. For our young guys, our freshmen, it’ll be their first go-around at a Big Ten meet, which will obviously be a different and exciting atmosphere for them.”

“Any time you can get off to a good start in those first couple of events, it gives the rest of the team confidence that they can do it, too. It shows something to the other guys that they can compete with the best. Those first events do hold a certain importance. You can’t back down at Big Tens, and we will not.”