It wasn’t the ideal end to an otherwise unblemished regular season for the Michigan rowing team’s first varsity eight boat. The Wolverine crew suffered its first defeat of the season in the morning session of its final meet, finishing nearly eight seconds behind Virginia’s first varsity eight.

Virginia, the nation’s number-two team, gave Michigan fierce competition across the board. In fact, the Wolverines won just two of the six races against Virginia — the second varsity eight and second varsity four boats were the only ones to earn victories. The second varsity eight win came with time to spare — clocking in eight seconds ahead of Virginia — while only a second separated the two teams in the varsity-four race.

In the afternoon session on Griggs Reservoir in Columbus, Michigan had easier competition, rowing against No. 14 Harvard and No. 19 Clemson. The Wolverines swept all five varsity races en route to a near-perfect end to the day. The only boat that failed to win in the afternoon for Michigan was the second novice eight, which lost to Ohio State.

But the Wolverine crew will get a shot at redemption in the near future when they compete in the Big Ten Championship meet, which will be held May 13 in Indianapolis. The Wolverines will use the upcoming weekend off to prepare.