OXFORD – The Michigan women’s basketball team held a lead for all of 95 seconds against Miami (Ohio) last night.

But that doesn’t mean it was a one-sided affair.

Michigan cut the RedHawks’ lead to one on five separate occasions. But that just seemed to anger Miami. The RedHawks responded to the first three one-point Wolverine deficits with runs of 7-1, 10-4 and 12-2.

The final two chances Michigan saw were squashed with 3-0 and 5-2 stretches from the RedHawks.

Miami coach Maria Fantanarosa credited her team’s leaders with not allowing the RedHawks to get down when the Wolverines made a run to cut the lead.

“It was like they never knew that Michigan even had the momentum,” Fantanarosa said.

Growing pains: Sophomore point guard Jessica Minnfield picked up her second foul on a charge as she tried to pass the ball to sophomore forward Ashley Jones with 2.7 seconds left in the first half.

Michigan coach Cheryl Burnett brought freshman point guard Sireece Bass in to ensure Minnfield didn’t pick up another foul in the final seconds of the quarter.

On the ensuing RedHawk possession, Bass let the player she was supposed to be defending, Jenna Schone, get behind her. Schone took the inbounds pass and raced up past half court and threw up a desperation shot.

Even though Schone missed her shot, Burnett was not happy. She screamed, “Sireece, come here!” and called her point guard over to her. Burnett appeared to chew out Bass while the rest of the team went to the locker room.

Bass did not return to the game until there were just 18 seconds remaining in the contest.

In Michigan’s last game (a win over Miami (Fla.) on Sunday), Bass did not play. That contest followed a loss to Notre Dame, in which Bass missed critical free throws down the stretch.

Move over ACC, Miami wants a challenge:
The RedHawks beat Michigan in the first of three games during what Miami has dubbed “Beat Big Ten Week.” The Michigan men’s basketball team will play at Millett Hall tomorrow, and the RedHawks match up with Ohio State in hockey on Saturday.

In addition to a chance to beat two Big Ten squads, Miami students also had the opportunity to smash Ohio State – and Michigan – themed cars.

As ambitious as “Beat Big Ten Week” sounded for a Mid-American Conference school, last night’s win proved it’s not a total farce.

“We believe that we could beat teams from bigger conferences, even though they might be more athletic and they might be taller,” Schone said.