When redshirt sophomore Kevin Krantz’s moon shot landed well beyond the left-field wall on Saturday, it appeared to take the memories of Michigan baseball’s early-season woes with it.

Krantz’s homer lifted the Wolverines over Indiana in the first game of a doubleheader in Ann Arbor, and Michigan’s momentum spilled over into the nightcap with a two-run first inning. But soon enough, the mistakes that have plagued the Wolverines all season came back as quickly as Krantz’s homer left the park.

Michigan’s seven errors this weekend proved costly as the Wolverines (1-2 Big Ten, 7-18 overall) dropped Friday’s game 12-5 and won Saturday morning, 3-2, before an embarrassing 10-3 loss later in the day.

In Saturday’s second game, it was Indiana (2-1, 18-9) who was on the wrong end of the defensive miscues. A first-inning error led to an RBI from freshman rightfielder Michael O’Neil. Fifth-year senior second baseman Anthony Toth, who reached on the error, later scored on a wild pitch to put the Wolverines ahead, 2-0.

But sophomore hurler Kyle Clark’s day was skewed by errors as well — the first of which was an error of his own. Attempting to cover first on a grounder to the first baseman, Clark’s foot missed the bag. It was the first of five Michigan errors in the game.

“Typically, it bites you,” Michigan coach Rich Maloney said of the poor defensive play. “They took advantage of mistakes we made, and they got two big innings because of it. Then, they got a few timely hits in there mixed in, a couple rockets after we kind of opened the gates for them. That’s what was discouraging about that game because they didn’t just beat us, we kind of beat ourselves, and that’s tough.”

Clark was tagged for seven runs — only one of which was earned — in just 2.1 innings of work. Freshman designated hitter and pitcher Alex Lakatos was Michigan’s lone bright spot, going 3-for-4 in the game and 5-for-9 on the weekend, but it wasn’t enough to lift the Wolverines in the late game on Saturday.

The game — which saw a brief hailstorm blanket the field — was moved to Saturday afternoon because of predicted inclement weather during the scheduled Sunday start.

The early Saturday game was a pitching duel, with redshirt sophomore Bobby Brosnahan on the mound for Michigan. The lefty — who struggled for much of the non-conference schedule — finally found his control, as he went 6.1 innings and gave up just two earned runs.

But when he was pulled in the seventh with the Wolverines trailing 2-1, it appeared Brosnahan’s strong outing would go for naught due to the stagnant offense.

That all changed when Krantz — starting for the injured sophomore Derek Dennis at shortstop — came to the plate with a runner on in the seventh. Krantz crushed a 3-1 pitch high over the brick wall in left to ignite fans in Ray Fisher Stadium.

“I think it was just a huge lift and, I mean, I felt like at the time we were going to at least tie it up right then, but for us to take the lead right there, I thought that sealed the deal right there,” Krantz said of his homer. “It gave us huge momentum and we just worked off that.”

Lakatos — who relieved Brosnahan in the seventh — was the beneficiary of the go-ahead score. The righty pitched 2.2 scoreless, no-hit innings to lock up his first career win — and the team’s first conference win, 3-2.

“That was one of the happiest I’ve ever seen a Michigan baseball team since I’ve been here,” Brosnahan said. “It was a big win. They’re a good team in the Big Ten — they’ve got one of the better lineups we’ll face hitting-wise … So it’s big to get a win against these guys. Obviously we would’ve liked two, but baby steps.”

Added Maloney: “That was Michigan baseball that we’ve been accustomed to, and that was nice to see … Brosnahan was great, kept them off balance, did a great job. And then I thought Alex Lakatos was electric. The umpire even commented, he says, ‘He really looked good.’ ”

In the opener Friday, the Wolverines were aided by another first-inning Indiana wild pitch to go ahead 2-0.

But redshirt sophomore pitcher Tyler Mills couldn’t sustain the lead, going just 3.2 innings of seven-run ball.

Junior Coley Crank led the Wolverines with three runs on three hits and an RBI. Crank — who entered the weekend hitting just .208 — went 6-for-9 in the three-game set.

With the opening weekend of conference play in the books, Michigan will take the momentum of a win with it into Wednesday’s game at Central Michigan before heading to Purdue next weekend.

“We know we can beat anybody,” Krantz said. “In certain times of the games, we’ve got to make a play here and there and we’re right in it, like we did in the first game (on Saturday). We came up with a timely hit that gave us the win, so we know we can do it, we’ve just got to find ways to do it more often.”