Texas Tech was bigger, stronger and, from a simple eye test, the Red Raiders looked better than Michigan entering Tuesday’s matchup.

And in a matter of minutes, the scoreboard agreed.

The Red Raiders jumped out to a 5-0 first-inning lead and never looked back, beating Michigan, 8-2.

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Bobby Brosnahan started for Michigan (6-12 Big Ten, 15-32 overall) and it quickly became apparent why Michigan coach Rich Maloney pulled the lefty from the rotation.

Texas Tech pounded Brosnahan’s pitching, hitting scorchers into the outfield with ease. The Red Raiders loaded the bases before the Wolverines recorded an out in the first inning. And then first baseman Stephen Hagen hit a two-run single.

Texas Tech loaded the bases again later in the inning and designated hitter Nick Popescu emptied them with a double as part of a three-hit night.

Brosnahan — who lost his spot both in the rotation and as Michigan’s No. 1 pitcher last weekend against Minnesota — struggled and was pulled after two innings, giving five runs and five hits.

Freshman right-hander Alex Lakatos came out of the bullpen in the third inning and walked the bases loaded, but escaped major damage, giving up just one run. Lakatos looked strong in four innings, giving up just two hits against a powerful Red Raider lineup.

The Wolverines scored once in the first and again in the sixth, but were never a serious offensive threat, picking up just five hits against three Texas Tech pitchers.

The two teams meet again Wednesday, with both starting pitchers yet to be determined.