Correction appended: This story incorrectly left the impression that Ludacris is the first hip-hop artist to perform at a Unviersity venue. Wyclef Jean performed at Hill Auditorium in 2000.

Hip-hop artist Ludacris is coming to Hill Auditorium Nov. 3, organizers announced yesterday.

After roughly six months of planning, the concert has become a reality for Michigan Student Assembly Rep. Melton Lee and others who have been working on getting the hip-hop artist to campus.

“This is history in the making,” Lee said. “This is the first time a major hip-hop act has ever played a major campus venue in the history of the University,” Lee said.

The event is the product of the combined efforts of MSA and co-sponsors Big Ticket Productions – a subcommittee of the University Activities Center – and Hillel.

Organizing the concert did not come without some problems. While Hill Auditorium staffers were initially apprehensive about holding a hip-hop concert in the newly renovated facility, Lee said, after some discussion their fears were settled.

Lee said he didn’t think the Hill staff would have had as much of a problem if he had approached them about bringing in an alternative rock bank or some other type of artist.

Lee was quick to add, however, that any misunderstandings that arose were understandable because this is the first major hip-hop artist to come to a campus building.

Organizers said Ludacris was chosen not only for his “massive crossover appeal,” but also for his recent work concerning social-justice issues, most notably in the film “Crash.” MSA officials said they hope to capitalize on Ludacris’s presence on campus with additional events that will emphasize diversity and social issues on campus.

“Our primary goal is to bring students of diverse backgrounds together in a way that’s never been done before,” Lee said, adding MSA hopes to bring similar events of this scale in the future.

Confusion over the concert arose after a Sept. 6 monthly e-mail from Hillel prematurely announced the concert before all contract details had been finalized. The mishap was the result of an internal misunderstanding, Lee said.

“We submitted a bid to Ludacris’s agent, and it was accepted. Typically, in the music industry, when a bid is accepted that’s when they announce the show, but understandably the University administration wanted to wait until all details were final,” Lee said.

In addition to contractual issues, managing and funding an event of this size were primary concerns for organizers.

“Making something like this happen is probably one of the most difficult things a student organization can do,” MSA President Jesse Levine said.

According to Susan Pile, director of University Arts and Programs, funding the concert was the greatest concern.

“It costs a lot of money to bring an entertainer of this nature to campus. We worked with the students closely to develop a budget. But they had the funds and were willing to make it happen, so we were there to support them,” Pile said.

MSA will invest $50,000 in the concert, but hopes to regain most of that through ticket sales, Levine said. The remainder of costs will be split between Hillel and UAC.

Crisler Arena, which holds 13,751 people, was also originally considered as a possible venue but ultimately Hill Auditorium, which has a seating capacity of 3,700, was chosen for cost and logistical reasons.

“There is something to be said of the atmosphere of a small, sold-out venue as opposed to a half-filled arena not designed for the event,” said Mary Beth Roeder, president of Big Ticket Productions.

Student tickets for the concert will go on sale at noon today at the Michigan Union Ticket Office in the basement of the Union. Tickets will cost 25 dollars for balcony seats and 30 dollars for floor and mezzanine seats. Students may purchase up to four tickets and must present a valid Mcard. Remaining tickets will be available to the general public at a slightly higher price on Oct. 25 through Ticketmaster.