Though her family name may bring her recognition, Lucy Wainwright Roche is certainly breaking out on her own.

Lucy Wainwright Roche

Wednesday at 8 p.m.
The Ark
Tickets from $21.50

In preparation for her stop in Ann Arbor, Roche — a folk musician known for her candidly funny stage demeanor — spoke with the Daily about her famous family (half-brother Rufus, father Loudon and mother Suzzy Roche), asserting that they won’t influence her as she blossoms into a new artist.

“We’re all in the same business, everyone is very supportive of each other. And also, we’re all very different from each other, so that kind of allows us to each have our own thing,” Roche said.

Since most of her family consists of singer-songwriters like herself, Roche grew up on the road, and her nomadic life heavily influences her songwriting. Her first full-length album, LUCY, which will be released Oct. 28, recounts her days on tour with her family as well as her travels as a solo singer.

“There are a lot of different songs about different places. I think that’s a reflection of how long I’ve been away from home for the past couple of years,” Roche explained.

While Roche enjoys touring, she does admit to being homesick.

“I miss being home sometimes, but I don’t think I would trade all the things that have happened to me on the road and the people that I’ve met,” she said.

And she has met some incredible people. Roche has been co-billed with fellow singer-songwriter and friend Antje Duvekot at many tour stops and will be opening for the Indigo Girls in a few weeks starting in New Hampshire. She has also shared the stage with some of her relatives.

“I’ve been really lucky to get to open for lots of different artists and share the stage with lots of different people and that’s one of the highlights of this whole career so far,” she said.

Though she is just starting out, Roche has earned a good deal of praise.

Ira Glass of National Public Radio compared her to the likes of Joni Mitchell and Patti Griffin.

Seeming flabbergasted by the compliment, Roche responded, “It’s so amazing, I can hardly believe that it was said. I’m certainly flattered, it’s a great comparison and I’m honored to be compared to either one of them.”

However, she refuses to be confined to those judgments.

“I think that my personality and my music is pretty specific to who I am. There may be parts of me that’s certainly been influenced by people … like Joni Mitchell or Patti Griffin or even my family members. But really at the end of the day, you kind of end up being who you are naturally, too.”