LSA Student Government looks to offer student organizations better access to resources this semester with the restructuring of its budget process.

On Sept. 17, LSA SG passed a resolution to create a rolling system for student groups to apply for funding as opposed to the old, single deadline system.

LSA SG President Natasha Dabrowski, an LSA senior, along with LSA SG Vice President Corey Walsh, an LSA senior, and LSA junior Jason Colella, Budget Allocations Committee Chair, worked collaboratively to develop and implement the new funding plan.

The Budget Allocations Committee is responsible for the distributing funds for some student organizations and events at the University. The three LSA SG members said the greatest adjustment to the process grants student organizations additional opportunities to apply for funding.

“The difference is a switch to a rolling fund,” the group said in an e-mail. “What this means is that there will be four opportunities, or four separate cycles, to apply for funding, instead of the previous single cycle once a semester.”

The three also wrote that each cycle will have a receipt deadline. If an organization doesn’t meet the receipt deadline for the corresponding cycle, that their money will be allocated for the next cycle toward another organization or event. Student organizations will also have the opportunity to appeal funding decisions made by LSA SG one week after award notices are distributed during each cycle.

Organizations can apply at each cycle but cannot receive more than $2,000 total per semester.

“The new plan will provide flexibility in allowing groups to plan and implement costly events in a more timely manner. The increase in the number of receipts deadlines will also allow us to fund in excess of our $30,000 budget, ” Dabrowski said.

LSA SG members decided to amend the funding allocations process after they noticed issues student organizations were having with the previous funding plan last year.

“LSA SG saw that a number of student organizations were missing the deadline for our funding cycle, and we knew that was problematic,” the group said. “It seemed to be a combination of transitioning leadership within the organization, new organizations who had not previously applied for funding, event organizing changes, and our own publicity of the funding system.”

Over the summer, members of LSA SG reached out to various student organizations to receive feedback about the old plan, as well as receive feedback regarding potentially switching over to a rolling funding plan. The response to the proposed funding switch was overwhelmingly positive, they said, so the group decided to move forward with developing the new plan.

Dabrowski said LSA SG members have been careful to keep student organizations up to speed regarding the new funding switch and have been working since the passing of the resolution to spread the word about the new funding switch.

“At Festifall LSA SG members, myself included, went around to as many organizations as possible to pass out flyers educating them about our funding system and upcoming deadlines,” Dabrowski said. “We also contact all organizations that have regularly applied for funding for their events, and also one-time applicants.”

LSA SG has also begun to use social media and other online outlets to better inform student orgs about the funding switch, hoping to be able to get in touch with even more student organizations on campus.

“This year we plan to go through Maize Pages to contact even more organizations to get the word out about LSA SG’ s Budget Allocations process. We will also be doing a social media push and are hoping to get the word out through other offices and organizations on campus. “

Overall, LSA SG members said they are hopeful that the changes to the budget allocations funding plan will encourage more student organizations to apply for funding this year.