Wednesday afternoon, LSA students received an e-mail from the Newman Academic Advising Center announcing a new transfer credit policy beginning in spring that will allow students — regardless of class standing — to transfer credits earned at a community college.

The new policy eliminates a restriction that limited transferring community college credit to students with fewer than 60 credits at the University. Now, students with over 60 credits, or junior and senior standing, can also transfer community college credit.

“Behind the old policy was the idea that community colleges teach first year and second year courses and therefore juniors and seniors at a four year institution shouldn’t get credit for first year and second year courses,” said Tim Dodd, director of the Newnan Academic Advising Center. “Our counterargument was that juniors and seniors take introductory — 100 and 200 level — coursework all the time here at the University and we don’t prevent them from getting credit from taking those courses.”

Dodd said it was also a matter of economic fairness.

“There are a lot of students who do need to take courses off campus but can’t necessarily afford to take them at a four-year institution,” Dodd said. “We thought it would be only fair for those who may have economic hardship to take courses that are typically much cheaper per credit at a community college.”

The policy will affect students like LSA junior Stephanie Peña, who is in her first semester at the University as a transfer student from Lansing Community College. Peña transferred in about 57 credits from her time at LCC and until now, was preparing to finish up the rest of her credits at the University.

“I was a little bummed out when I was told earlier this semester I wouldn’t be able to complete any more credits at community college because I knew I would be going back home this summer,” Peña said. “Now this new policy allows me to go back home and take some extra college credits, and it will let me do that at a cheaper cost as well.”

Peña said she paid $87 per credit at LCC. For Spring 2014 at the University, in-state students pay $690 for the first credit and $510 for every additional credit. Out-of-state students pay $1,825 for the first credit and $1,645 for every additional credit.

Dodd said the policy change will mostly affect students trying to catch up on credits, fulfill requirements, or those who were suspended from the University and need to complete credits outside of the University as a condition for return.

“I don’t think this is going to be a tectonic shift in what students do with their summers,” Dodd said.