Anyone that has experienced a break-up can account for the emotional toll it takes on you and your loved ones. Whether you find yourself lying on the floor eating stale potato chips or in bed with a stranger, everyone has a different coping mechanism. “Lola Versus” organically portrays the post-break-up stages of grief, providing a fresh perspective on the disintegration of two likeable and compatible individuals.

Lola Versus

At Quality 16 and Rave
Fox Searchlight

“I am very familiar with this feeling of being a mess or being confused,” said Greta Gerwig, star of “Lola Versus” in a recent conference call with the Michigan Daily. “I think this movie did that in a very funny, real way.”

Lola (Greta Gerwig, “No Strings Attached”) and Luke (Joel Kinnaman, TV’s “The Killing”) seem to have the perfect relationship, pledging to spend the rest of their lives together after eight years of dating. But when Luke ends their engagement out of the blue just three weeks before the wedding, Lola is distraught.

Treading the line between generic and unconventional with relative ease, “Lola Versus” relies on the charisma and energy of Gerwig and the natural chemistry between the secondary cast members.

“Lola is a good friend and a good daughter, someone following a plan and staying on schedule,” said the actress in earlier production notes. “She’s headed for a safe academic life. It’s almost a continuation of college, just like her relationship with Luke is. When Luke pulls the rug out from under her, she has to figure out what she’s doing. It’s a different kind of romantic comedy, because ultimately the person Lola is trying to get together with is herself.”

Entering the dating scene again while nearing 30 is a daunting task, and Lola only does so reluctantly. Lola self-sabotages herself on the road to recovery, struggling to find a way out of this rut, and jeopardizes some of her other sturdy relationships in the process.

“She can’t seem to get off of her own hamster wheel,” said Gerwig. “She’s definitely not a cute mess, which I like. She’s just a mess.”

“It was pretty organic for me to connect with Lola. I try not to play parts that I don’t feel a pull towards, and I did feel one towards her,” Gerwig added, talking of her character. “That being said, I don’t connect with Lola’s particular desires — (I have) no interest in planning a wedding right now or being married young or anything like that, but I did connect with her feeling that she should be somewhere other than where she is, and I definitely understand that.”

The film is set in New York, and premiered at the state’s annual Tribeca Film Festival in April — a new experience for the New York native.

“I’ve never had a film at the Tribeca Film Festival, and I was excited to have one there,” said Gerwig. “I live in New York and it was filmed in New York and it felt very appropriate that it would premiere there.”

Gerwig’s performance propels this film into the likes of 2009’s hit “(500) Days of Summer,” entering it in the next legion of smart romantic comedies. Film-making duo Daryl Wein and Zoe Lister-Jones provide a 360-degree angle of the break-up, giving us two sides to the story — a feat that is altogether absent in this genre.