The number three had a peculiar significance for senior Amanda Lohman this weekend. She qualified for her third straight NCAA championships after finishing third in the three-meter event on Friday at the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships in Bloomington, Ind.

Four divers from the Michigan women’s swimming and diving team headed to Indiana for the three-day meet, competing in the one-meter dive, three-meter dive and the platform dive. Sophomore Erin Bridgewater and freshmen Carey Chen and Marina Nazario competed well and gained valuable experience as underclassmen. But they were unable to escape the preliminary round for any of the events, except for Chen who placed sixth overall in the platform dive. But even that was not enough to advance further.

However, Lohman stole the show.

Lohman had a strong showing in each event, though she thinks there’s room for improvement.

“I was just pretty average in preliminaries,” Lohman said. “But I was able to put together a good finals, so I was happy about that.”

Lohman began her quest for her third-straight NCAA berth with the one-meter event on Thursday. Her fifth-place finish in that event, with a score of 591.40, wasn’t enough to qualify for a spot in the championships. That put the pressure on her heading into Friday’s three-meter event.

“I didn’t want to give up,” Lohman said. “I just wanted to keep fighting to get a spot to go after missing out by one or two people on the one-meter.”

Lohman fought hard for her third-place finish in the three-meter event, with a score of 647.00, giving her an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships. Her feat killed the suspense and worry about qualifying on Saturday.

“I would probably be pretty upset if at my last meet I didn’t make the cut,” Lohman said.

Lohman will be the lone Wolverine diver to compete at the event, held from March 15-17 in Auburn, Ala. Despite advancing on the strength of her three-meter event, she will also compete in the one-meter and platform dives at the NCAAs. This being her third-consecutive appearance at the championships, she hopes to be much improved this time around.

“The last two years I haven’t done well, and I think I have the experience after being there for two years, so hopefully I can make a final,” Lohman said.

For Lohman, this will be her swan song as a Wolverine diver and a college athlete.

“I’m ready for the NCAAs to be my last meet,” Lohman said. “I just hope I have my best meet and end on a good note.”