Blind Pig has been the host to many a band over the years, but one band has used this venue to create an intense fan base and a loyal following. Donkey Punch, formed in 1998 by seven University of Michigan students, first started playing at friends” parties and now headlines the 400-capacity Blind Pig. They”ve created a well-blended mix of punk and ska by using not only bass, guitar and drums, but a trumpet and trombone as well. And they have acquired devoted fans, who know all the words to their songs and even swoon over them like they were the Backstreet Boys.

After releasing their first CD, Your Everything Else, they have achieved fame in Ann Arbor, play regularly in Ohio and are even planning an East Coast tour in May. This campus has had the privilege of being able to see Donkey Punch on a regular basis, but soon this band will be all over the country.

This Friday night, they kick off the release of their new CD, 8 Track, with a party at, you guessed it, the Blind Pig. With Eric Day on vocals, Aaron Brink playing guitar, Todd Bauer and Brian Drake on the trumpet, Todd Waters on drums, Garrett Mendez playing trombone and Christopher Lee on bass, this eclectic mix of performers and melodies gives Donkey Punch a sound all their own. “We”ll have a longer set (at the Blind Pig), so we”ll try to throw in some old favorites,” said Brink. For those of you not acquainted with “old favorites”, try giving East Coast Girl or Na Na Na a try. With lyrics like “She drinks Woodchuck and I drink beer/She hunts for sandcrabs and I hunt deer/She”s never even been under arrest/And I”m a criminal from the Mid-west,” you”ll be singing along in no time. “We always like our new stuff though,” added Lee.

At the record release show, they”ll be playing with the band PT”s Revenge, which Lee and Brink describe as “punk/pop/rock,” and Few and Far Between, described as “indie rock.” “We”ll jump around a lot and get the crowd into it,” said Lee. “We”re entertaining to watch.” Not only will you be able to get an energetic, heart-pounding show, but they”ll also be giving away raffle tickets with prizes like a Donkey Punch alarm clock, mouse, and snow globe. There really is no reason not to be there. Be at the Blind Pig at 9:30 p.m. tonight, bring a couple of friends, and be prepared to see a refreshing and fun show.