AT THE STAND

The Zell Visiting Writers Series brings published authors to the East Quad Auditorium for public readings of their works. Today at 5 p. m., novelist Marshall Klimasewiski will read fiction excerpts. Expect a crowd of creative writing students and RC regulars. Recent readings included Mary Gaitskill, author of the 2005 novel “Veronica,” who read from a work in progress. Like all others in the series, tonight’s reading is free.

ON EXHIBIT

An exploration of relationships between artistic expression and the marketplace takes form in an art exhibition at the School of Art and Design’s gallery space, Work, on State Street. “eBay a Day/Hiding in Plain View” features work based on the popular auction site, where the eBay website itself – including the object being sold, the seller’s description and bidders – is displayed as artwork. The exhibit will run through March 2.

ON STAGE

Fresh off his 2006 Grammy win for best large jazz ensemble with his Big Band, bandleader/jazz bassist Dave Holland returns to Ann Arbor tonight at 8 p.m. One of the jazz world’s best-known bass players, Holland has been touring and recording since he started playing with Miles Davis’s band in the 1960s. Here’s your chance to check out the Dave Holland Octet and Big Band at The Michigan Theater. Tickets are $18-44.

AT THE PIG

DJs Brad Hales and Robert Wells return to The Blind Pig tonight for another night of their Ann Arbor Soul Club series. It’s only $5 ($8 if you’re under 21), so if you’re unfamiliar with Northern soul, drop by after 9:30 p.m. to kick off your Winter Break with some quality jams. If indie rock is more your bag, local darlings Saturday Looks Good to Me will play tomorrow night. Local songsmith Chris Bathgate is set to open.