Allison Liske had been away long enough.

The redshirt junior and captain of the Michigan women’s track and field team had an injury that forced her to miss the indoor season. But she has returned after the Wolverines moved outdoors and is raring for the rest of the season to continue.

“Feels really good to be back,” Liske said. “It was hard to not be competing with the team. We have a great family atmosphere and when you’re not competing with the family you feel kind of left out, but that’s a good thing.”

Missing out on the indoor season was a huge blow. Yet spending all that time thinking about how much she wished she were competing has paid off. Last week Liske won Big Ten Field Athlete of the Week after an impressive performance where she won the shot put events on both Friday and Saturday. Still, she considered the award “a really big surprise — it was a huge honor.”

Another honor Liske recently received was being voted one of three captains by her teammates. It’s her job to make sure “everyone feels the best they can to compete well.” It’s a job that requires higher responsibility and isn’t taken lightly by Liske or her co-captains. Liske said she wanted to ensure everyone is on the same page so they can have the best season possible.

As for the rest of this season?

“As a team, we always have the long-term goal of doing well in the Big Ten (championships),” Liske said. “Everyone’s personally hoping to contribute to that and a lot of people have already started to make big improvements on their competition. And so we’ve had some breakout performances already the past two weekends it’ll be really cool who steps out through the rest of the season, who steps up during the Big Ten conference.”

Liske has been one of the breakthrough performers thus far in the outdoor season. If her return performances have been any indication — she was the only member of the team to win at each event the first weekend of the outdoor season — she should go on to have a spectacular season. Her main goal of the season is to have success in conference, and she’ll just try to remind her teammates that with enough perseverance, they can all achieve great things.

“At the Big Tens, anything can happen, so you just do your best to prepare to be ready to perform our best,” she said.