PONTIAC (AP) A record for Emmitt Smith and a rare victory for the Detroit Lions brightened the last NFL game at the Silverdome.

The Dallas Cowboys” star became the first running back to reach 1,000 yards in 11 straight seasons in the Lions” 15-10 win yesterday. He broke the record he shared with former Lion Barry Sanders on a 13-yard run on his 13th carry late in the third quarter.

Smith ran for 77 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries to finish his season with 1,021 and increase his career total to 16,187, behind only Walter Payton”s 16,726.

Ty Detmer threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Johnnie Morton with 5:37 left for the game-winner. Despite the victory, the Lions (2-14) matched the worst record in franchise history.

Still, after starting the season with 12 straight losses, they”re happy just to blend in among the worst teams in NFL history instead of being the first 0-16 team or joining Carolina and six other teams with 1-15 records.

The Cowboys finished 5-11 for the second straight year.

Detroit”s go-ahead touchdown drive started with Cory Schlesinger”s 20-yard run and Aveion Cason”s 19-yard run. After Schlesinger ran for two yards on a third-and-one at the Dallas 18, Detmer connected with Morton for the touchdown. The two-point conversion failed.

The sold-out crowd went wild as Morton dropped to the turf after the touchdown and undulated his body with a dance called “The Centipede.”

Safety Marty Carter intercepted Quincy Carter”s long lob at Detroit”s 19 to hurt Dallas” comeback hopes.

The Cowboys forced Detroit to punt after three plays, which gave them the ball back on their 40 with 3:23 left. But Dallas turned the ball over on downs less than a minute later, all but ending the game.

Lots of exposed steel, a sea of concrete, an inflated fiberglass roof and no championships were the reasons the last game at the Silverdome did not move fans to tears.

Numerous Lions players shook hands and slapped hands with fans in the front for about 10 minutes after the game.

After playing 30 miles north of Detroit for 27 years, the Lions will return downtown next season to play at Ford Field, a new $315 million indoor stadium that will play host to the 2006 Super Bowl.

Detmer, subbing for injured rookie Mike McMahon for the second game, was 24-of-40 for 242 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions. Morton caught eight passes for 86 yards and a touchdown.

Carter was 11-of-26 for 158 yards and threw one interception.

On the same possession the 32-year-old Smith surpassed the 1,000-yard mark, Jon Hilbert”s 33-yard kick gave the Cowboys a 10-9 lead on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Early in the second quarter, Smith scored on a 2-yard run to cap an eight-play drive that was kept alive by Carter”s two third-down passes, including a 35-yard pass to Raghib Ismail on a third-and-5 from Detroit”s 42.

Detroit drove 80 yards for a touchdown on the ensuing drive, which ended with Detmer”s 20-yard pass to David Sloan. The Lions were unable to tie the game because John Jett couldn”t handle the snap on the extra point.

Detroit”s Jason Hanson missed two 51-yard field-goal attempts in the first half after making the previous six from 50 or more yards.

Hanson”s second miss with 1:30 left in the half was the latest in a long line of bounces that didn”t go the Lions” way this season. The kick, from one of the NFL”s most consistent kickers, landed on the crossbar and bounced back onto the field.

At halftime, fans mocked Hanson with cheers when he made practice kicks and booed him when he missed.

Hanson”s 47-yard field goal gave Detroit a 9-7 on the first drive of the second half.