A drum team, a storyteller and a spinning artist, among other performers, wowed onlookers at the Duderstadt Center as part of the second annual Library Talent Circus Wednesday.

The circus, according to Rachel Maddix, who is the chair of the staff forum board, intended to bring together the University’s librarians and library staff. In addition to live performers and three live demonstrations, the event also featured works from several University gallery artists.

Both the librarians and staff forum boards collaborated to host the event. Jacques Mersereau, the chairman of the Librarians’ Forum boards, said he conceptualized the talent showcase after noticing talents within some of the committee members.

“…We thought, ‘There’s so much talent around us’,” Mersereau said. “Most people have no idea — they see somebody behind the desk every day and they don’t really know what else they do in their life, and what I found out was there’s a lot of artists who have found a home here, their day gig is the library.”

Kelly Goodknecht, who was one of the featured acts, performed a spinning routine. Goodknecht said she learned to spin when she was younger. Her reason for spinning, she said, is that it is relaxing.

“It’s a great way to kind of decompress,” Goodknecht said. “A lot of it’s the repetitive aspect, it’s kind of just this repetitive hand motion, eventually, your hands just kind of go and do their thing.”

The Wolverine Press, which releases prints for the Helen Zell Visiting Writers Series and is part of the Buhr Library, was also among the demonstrations at the event. After printing and giving out a black and white picture of a wolverine to a person passing by, Wolverine Press Director Fritz Swanson said most people working at the press are Helen Zell MFA writing students.

Kat Finch, one of those Zell fellows with the press, said the students design the broadsides for the visiting writers.

“They’re called devils — partially from the wolverine, partially because back when people did letterpress, the little people running around, like the young children, were called devils because they would pick up the extras and such and throw them in the fire to bring everything else down,” Finch said.

Maddix said they held the showcase at the Duderstadt to coax students to travel to North Campus.

“We host it at the Duderstadt Center because, that way, it gets a lot of people to come to North Campus, Maddix said. “Sometimes, in the library world, things are more isolated and people don’t get a chance to get to North Campus. Also, North Campus has amazing facilities that we can use.”

One such the facility is the UM3D Lab, which had a live demonstration of 3D printing. The UM3D Lab, part of the Digital Media Commons at the Dude, provides 3D printing access, learning and services to the University.

Nathan Diroff, who works in the lab, this lab provides services such as printing files for people who send them, as well as training people to use 3D printers.

“3D as a medium and as a method for production is amazing,” Diroff said. “Some of these things are different human anatomy that have never been printed in this way before, you can print things that have never actually existed in the physical realm before.”

The art gallery and exhibit will remain open in the Duderstadt through June 5.