Lack of coverage on Hurricane Ike ignores affected students

I am extremely disappointed in the Daily’s lack of reporting on Hurricane Ike and the devastation it has caused to Texas and the Gulf Coast. Though Hurricane Ike resulted in more than 30 deaths, displaced thousands of people, caused millions of dollars in damage and left an estimated 2 million people without power, the Daily felt that this massive, Category 2 hurricane only warranted a small news brief in Monday’s paper (Hurricane Ike death toll rises, 09/15/2008).

Houston is the fourth largest city in the country, and the Gulf region produces 25 percent of America’s domestic oil. Yet the Daily barely recognized this natural disaster as important news. This university prides itself on attracting students from around the country, and I wish the Daily would reflect this diversity in its reporting.

Vannessa Rivera
LSA senior

Birth control prices a symptom of national health care problem

I’ve appreciated the Daily’s candid discussion on the hike in birth control costs, but I would like to make a few comments about Wednesday’s editorial (Unsafe pricing, 09/10/2008). Because sex is a right and contraceptives are a necessary and fundamental part of health care for more than just birth control, the whole phenomenon of rising prices is not unique to the pill, and it’s not targeting young people who want to practice safe sex.

Health care costs are a burden for almost all Americans, and with the economy in the toilet, many people are going without all sorts of vital medications and treatments. Ideally, our nation would provide basic health care, including contraception, free of charge to everyone. And hopefully with a new presidential administration, we will.

But while we’re working on that, I think it’s important to remember that higher contraceptive costs is only one symptom of a massive national health care problem. Rather than demanding our own benefits, students should have to bear a shared burden and work to solve this crisis at its root cause.

Adam Ajlouni
LSA senior

An impersonal university and the bureaucracy behind it

While I was writing an essay for my organizational studies class on bureaucracy, I realized a frustrating aspect of the student-administration relationship at the University.

Each year, President Mary Sue Coleman so graciously opens her home at the beginning of the year and students excitedly crowd her house for some free food. However, if I wanted to talk to her about something serious, would I ever go to her house? No.

And so it suddenly occurred to me, I have no idea where Coleman’s office is. Perhaps this is a matter of my own ignorance or simply the product of a large-scale bureaucratic institution, but one thing is for certain: I don’t know how to contact her. I don’t know her e-mail address, and I don’t know if she would receive my e-mail if I sent one.

Please, someone, I beg you, lift this bureaucratic veil and reveal yourself.

Eitan Ingall
LSA junior