Governor’s remarks distasteful, she should apologize

To the Daily:

I am a graduating senior, and I am thoroughly disappointed and upset about the outcome of the commencement ceremony. Governor Jennifer Granholm’s remarks in her speech were inappropriate for a day of celebration. Being called potential “total losers” and reminded of the terrible economic crisis facing graduates damaged all the graduates’ sense of accomplishment and joy. Granholm should issue a statement of apology to the graduating class of 2003 for her remarks. I only get one college graduation day, and mine was dampened by her rude behavior. Thanks Governor. You know, being elected to office does not guarantee success. There are some who have been elected to office that you have never heard of and will never hear of. Some are complete and total losers.

Natalie Moran

Alumnus

Letter inaccurate, ‘U’ should divest from Caterpillar

To the Daily:

In his letter (Story left out important details of divestment vote, 4/29/03), Brad Sugar falsely claims that, “Realizing that this resolution was asinine for singling out Israel, two-thirds of the assembly voted to take the resolution off the table.” In reality, a large number of MSA representatives voted to table the resolution because of their belief that the student government should not consider resolutions dealing with international issues. This took place, unfortunately, despite an overwhelming presence of supporters of the resolution and hundreds of supportive e-mails that flooded representatives’ inboxes.

Sugar himself forwards the argument that the resolution, which would support divesting from Caterpillar Corp. for its role in illegal house demolitions, was asinine for singling out Israel. Apparently, with this logic, one cannot criticize an immoral act without criticizing every immoral act in the world. This is absurd, and goes to show the desperation of Israeli apologists, including the mainstream pro-Israel groups that rallied against the resolution in their attempts to find excuses for any and every Israeli act, no matter how overtly sadistic and criminal they may be.

Specifically, Israel’s practice of house demolitions contravenes countless doctrines of international law, human rights and any sense of morality. This act of collective punishment has resulted in the destruction of over 1,000 Palestinian homes over the past six months. As a result, it has brought the criticism of countless Israeli and international human rights organizations, international bodies and even our own president.

For those Israelis, Palestinians and supporters of either side that strive for peace, it is imperative that we take principled stances against acts that only fuel the wanton death and destruction, no matter who may be committing them. This in mind, urging the University to divest from Caterpillar Corp. until they cease knowingly selling their equipment for illegal Israeli actions will exonerate us from some of the loss of morality we share as our tuition dollars bring down innocent Palestinians’ homes and subsequently, peace in the Middle East.

Fadi Kiblawi

Alumnus

Opposition to war groundless, Iraqis better off now

To the Daily:

I am writing this letter partly in response to a letter to the editor in your paper (Coverage of war in Iraq balanced, yet inadequate, 04/29/03) and partly in response to the ridiculous complaints I keep hearing about U.S. involvement in Iraq. Everybody keeps complaining about how many civilians have died, but when you compare it to how many civilians have been killed by Saddam in the past, the number of deaths is very low. Saddam was the dictator of Iraq for about 23 years. During that time, his regime brutally murdered at least 750,000 people. If you take 750,00 murders and divide it by the number of days he was in power, 8,395, you see that on average, his regime was responsible for 89 deaths a day. Granted, many of these deaths came in large mass murders, such as the gassing of the Kurds, but you get the idea. It is important to limit civilian casualties of any war, but some will die. The bottom line in this case, however, is that more people are alive in Iraq than would be the case had we not invaded. Not only that, but everybody is free now. No matter if you had doubts before, all legitimate worries in this regard have been proved false. I suspect that the only people still complaining do so because they would rather still have Saddam in power. No doubt that was the goal of the Marxist organizations responsible for organizing worldwide anti-war protests the past few months.

Dan Krawiec

LSA junior