Daily headline confuses cause and correlation of TV violence and aggressive behavior

To the Daily:

While I have not had access to the actual research article, reading the Daily’s article, Study: TV violence causes aggression, (03/12/03) as well as other reviews on the research implies your headline is misleading. I do not think the authors would claim that TV violence causes aggression, but rather watching violent TV displays correlation with future aggression.

My reasoning behind this seemingly trivial exercise in etymology stems from my belief that children not properly reared probably watch more violent TV than their counterparts. For example, children with parents willing to spend time encouraging their children to read, master a musical instrument or play a sport have less time to engage in watching any (violent or non) television in general. Therefore, is the poor parenting or the violent TV to blame for aggressive children?

Dan Coughlin

Rackham

Honors commons unnecessarily rewards a few students

To the Daily:

As an Honors student, I completely agree with the criticisms of the Perlman Honors Commons. Its velvet rope mentality is nothing short of ostentatious snobbery. The spacious, comfortable room is a great place for intellectual discussion or relaxation. It can and should be enjoyed by everyone. Every day dozens of students congregate at the aging, noisy benches near the Fishbowl, but apparently this majority of the student body are simply not as gifted as Honors students and therefore have little use for good facilities.

In truth, there are several non-Honors participants who are bright and talented; just because they choose not to participate in a voluntary program does not mean that they can be involuntarily shut out of University services. An interesting parallel was drawn between the Honors lounge and special perquisites given to certain student groups. Though the school may be tolerant of this, time and again there is student grumble over the better food and facilities strictly open to athletes. If Honors students recognize the inherent problem within this system, the last thing they should do is feed into it.

At heart, several defend the Perlman Commons on grounds that it is a belated reward for the academic elite. Yet I’m forced to wonder: Isn’t a good education its own reward? My justification for opting Honors is the hope that the courses and requirements will equip me with the skills needed to excel in the real world. Utilizing, and moreover, expecting separatist benefits should not be part of that curriculum.

Sowmya Krishnamurthy

LSA freshman