Horn jumped the gun on NRA’s culpability for violence

To the Daily:

I was reading David Horn’s Lock, stock and two panicked nations (01/17/03) the other day and I was upset to see the usual false bias within his article. Horn implied that the National Rifle Association is a cause of poor decisions on the sake of gun owners (ie. gun crime).

I wonder if he has ever attended an NRA event, or attended a course of theirs. I for one am taking a Personal Protection/Basic Pistol Course taught by NRA instructors and the most important message conveyed is gun safety. They recommend gun locks, gun safes and all the possible safety precautions within the gun itself, including safety buttons, grip safety, trigger safeties, etc. They’ve even taken the time to address the law as it pertains to these issues (instructed by both the NRA and local law enforcement) and engage in background checks before the sales of guns.

I would say its not the organization promoting responsible and constitutional gun ownership that’s at fault (or the guns themselves as many argue) but the people who own those guns. Hopefully, next time before Horn tries to bash an organization he’ll take the time to experience the organization face-to-face before making poor assumptions.

Gary Klein

LSA senior

Co-op’s flier does not convey ICC minority experience

To the Daily:

I caught wind of the party flier (Joint Cooperative House unfairly pressured to call off MLK Day party, 01/17/03) over e-mail days ago by people who saw it and had a problem with the way Joint House members portrayed Martin Luther King. What peaked my interest as a four-plus year ICC member (Luther House, 98-02) was that this flier is in no way representative of the vast majority of experiences I’ve had as a black man in the ICC.

It’s funny to me because when I was looking for a place to live sophomore year, I had heard that the ICC was not the place for black folks (especially certain houses that shall remain unnamed herein). I think that careless incidents like this are what gave the ICC that reputation. And while it may have seemed funny to Caron and others, the consequences aren’t.

Call it lighthearted, call it a mistake, call it insensitive or racist. It doesn’t matter. The consequence is that this doesn’t help the ICC’s image nor does it address the underlying issue. Certainly Caron, the flier’s creators or I might be nonplused by the way King was portrayed on it. But what of those who thought the ICC might be a viable option for saving money while in school (while also learning about themselves and others and making lifelong friends – a very valuable experience). Is it as viable if its members don’t really see the consequences of their actions?

I say let Joint have their party and if you don’t think you’d have fun there don’t go. Or go and protest. Heck, have your own party. But be aware of the kind of community you’re creating by doing so. Intentional communities don’t happen on their own. That’s why we call them intentional. I sure do hope that all kinds of people will continue to see the ICC as a welcoming environment, albeit complete with a few challenges and complication.

Mudhillun MuQaribu

Music senior