Time for ‘U’ to follow Cornell, Tufts, Matthews to sweeter, cleaner world

To the Daily:

I thank the Daily for its coverage of the One Sweet Whirled event (Dessert lures students into awareness, 11/11/02). Students for Public Interest Research Group In Michigan has worked for the past two semesters to educate the student body about climate change and to advocate for cleaner sources of energy.

Global climate change is a serious issue that both the university and individuals must take action against. The United States has not ratified the Kyoto Protocol, making individual action by states, cities and schools crucial. New Jersey has set a goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 3.5 percent below 1990 levels by the year 2005.

Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County are part of an international program called Cities for Climate Protection, whose 400 local governments, representing nearly 300 million people worldwide, are working to reduce their impact on global climate change. The goals of the Kyoto Protocol – a 7 percent reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 2012 – have been adopted by many leading universities, such as Cornell and Tufts. It is time for the University to to take a similar, if not stronger, stance on the issue of global climate change. The University needs to substitute energy derived from coal and nuclear power with renewable energy such as wind and solar power. Although the One Sweet Whirled event strove to educate students about how they as individuals can reduce their impact, the University needs to set a strong example on the issue of climate change to prove their commitment to environmental stewardship.

Ellen Kolasky

RC junior The letter writer is a co-chair of Students for PIRGIM

Taylor’s allegations of NCAA hypocrisy disgusting, though not surprising

To the Daily:

I was disgusted, yet not surprised, by Maurice Taylor’s accusations of hypocrisy directed at the NCAA (NBA Players Respond to ‘M’ Sanctions, 11/11/02). Taylor points out that the NCAA makes money off of its college sports players, and then asks, “How can you be making money off of somebody else and not be giving anything to them?”

Hey, Maurice, check out the diploma on your wall. I’d call it a gift in at least two ways: first, that you got it for free, and second, that you got it at all. On the second point, I don’t mean to insinuate that you aren’t a smart guy, but can you honestly look at yourself in the mirror and say that you would have even gotten accepted to the University, let alone finished, if you couldn’t play basketball? And given that you are making millions of dollars a year for playing a game, I would call your time here the gift that keeps on giving!

Those of us who don’t live in sports star fantasy land and actually use our college degrees for what they were intended often have things called “internships” or “externiships,” in which we bestow a benefit on a large organization without being paid. The only benefit we receive from these jobs is something called “experience.” In this regard, the college sports star is just like the rest of us.

Except that we aren’t getting paid six figure stipends on the side and crying about the hypocrisy of it all.

Jim Knapp

Law student

‘M’ postseason sanctions unnecessarily hurt fans, current team members

To the Daily:

Upon reading the headline Coleman works toward benefits for ‘U’ students, (11/11/02), I became a bit irritated. While I realize University President has only been here for 100 days, and I’m sure she will become a great leader for our University, I find it hard to believe that everything she does “is ultimately for the benefit of students.”

Over the past week, the top story at the University has been the sanctions on the men’s basketball program. Mary Sue Coleman played a large role in prohibiting this year’s team from playing in any post-season tournament. I don’t see how that “benefits” any current student. Not only are the team members, especially the three tri-captain seniors, greatly hurt by these sanctions, but also the hundreds of student fans who shelled out $114 for season tickets. While I personally would have purchased tickets anyway, I highly doubt many would have, and doubt many will in the upcoming weeks. The season has basically become meaningless, since the goals of any team should be to play and win in the post-season.

Go ahead and eliminate the records of the past seasons. Take down the banners in Crisler Arena. That is the past. We all know and will remember what really happened. But don’t go and hurt the present team and fans who had absolutely nothing to do with the situation just to make yourself look all prim and proper. Then try and tell us that you’re “always out to benefit the students.”

Let me know what benefits you’ve provided for me lately, Ms. President.

Jason Krol

LSA sophomore

Fab Five owes ‘U’ apologies, not excuses for actions

To the Daily:

An open letter to the Fab Five:

I hope you take a moment to stop and perhaps reflect on how your selfish actions have not only had a negative impact on your character, but on the school for which you played. And I hope you stop to think about the family that you have betrayed and hurt and start to think about how you can rectify this situation. There is a way to make this right; now is the time to start. By admitting your errors, accepting your punishment and showing the sports world and your University family you are sorry, you will finally “Shock The World.”

I attended the University during the era of the Fab Five. You are such a big part of my memories and feelings when I think of college. I can remember watching you stroll around campus, dance around the court and bring all of us to our feet and our knees within minutes. I will never forget the dull pain of standing in Crisler arena and watching Chris called the now infamous time out. I think I was the last one to leave Crisler that night. I just couldn’t believe it had happened. I remember going to the welcome back rally the University threw for you after that fateful game. I was in ear shot of you as you took the podium and I kept yelling to Webber, “You owe us another year.” I didn’t think you understood then what it meant to be a Wolverine, and I still don’t think you do.

The integrity of our school is more important that a few W’s in a win column. You owe us apologies, not excuses. I don’t want to hear that you were young; I want to hear that you are sorry.

Josie Ann Lee

Alumna

ISAC withdraws from ‘uncalled for’ Daily boycott after ‘great deliberation’

To the Daily:

On behalf of the International Students Affairs Commission, I would like to officially withdraw our support of the boycott. After great deliberation, I (we) think that the boycott was uncalled for. However, I request the Daily to be sensitive to the issues raised during the call for boycott and try its best to meet these concerns.

Also, as an Residence Hall Association representative from West Quad, I’d like to inform everybody that RHA has finally been able to pass the resolution (10-6-0) to permit banning of smoking in residence halls. Hip Hip Hooray!!!

Pragav Jain

LSA sophomore The letter writer is a co-chair of ISAC and an RHA representative.