Basford”s comment clouded real issues of rape and victimhood

To the Daily:

We”d like to address a specific comment made by Mike Basford, president of Beta Theta Pi, in an article in yesterday”s Daily (“Inquiry of rapes at Beta dropped”).

“It affects everyone of us. Being labeled as a rapist isn”t anything anyone should have to go through.”

Here”s a thought, Mike. Being raped isn”t anything that anyone should ever have to go through.

By pointing out that “being labeled as a rapist” is an experience that no one should have to endure, Basford is exemplifying the real nature of the problem taking attention away from the victims of rape and placing it on those whose innocence has been called into question. It”s a method used time and time again to ignore the crime and victimize the criminal. The “labels” are not the problem.

Labels go away. I can guarantee that five years from now when most of us have left the University, no one is going to remember the event that allegedly occurred on Oct. 25 or the fraternity that it allegedly occurred at. The label will be gone. For the survivors of rape, it won”t go away so quickly.

Years don”t erase the feelings and memories of humiliation, shame and violation that are consequences of being raped. Five years from now, when your friends are no longer living with labels, whether or not they deserved them, the thousands of survivors of rape will still be living with the memories of what it was like to be raped.

Katharine Heeringa

Clair Morrissey

LSA sophomores

“No pity” for B-school students: I-Banking “socially dubious”

To the Daily:

I feel no pity for Business School students who aspire to be investment banking associates, and cannot find those six figure positions of years past. Firstly, compensation for I-banking associates is already disproportionately large for the service they provide for society. Secondly, the blithe causative relationship that Jessica Cash (“B-school jobs important for all,” 1/18/02) makes between the number of associates hired by an I-banking firm and the number of working class people hired in the country is laughable.

I find repulsive the sentiment of entitlement for a disproportionately compensated and socially dubious job. Let us think about what investment bankers do: They, being the caretakers of vast sums of money, supply capital and profit off of successful companies. I don”t find the investment in companies intrinsically wrong it is the sheer amount of profit that is personally made by the managers of this capital that offends me. If I-banking firms were simply altruistic entities helping John Q. Public save for retirement and helping poor companies to grow and hire more working class employees, then I-banking wouldn”t be so lucrative, and the associate employees of the I-banking firms would be paid the same amount as any other hard working recent graduate.

Cash tries to make the causative relationship between the number of investment bank analysts and associates and the number of people hired “at all levels,” including the working class. This relationship is impossible to prove, and I would suggest the more likely opposite: That when there are more people working for a living building houses, manufacturing cars, designing computer chips, serving food, etc., there is more money saved in banks, more money available for investing in mutual funds and IRAs and thus more need for investment bankers. Prospective investment bankers here at the University need to thank their classmates who are going on to other things, thank them for making their lucrative jobs possible and then ask for forgiveness for skimming off the top.

James Yu

Medical School