B-School jobs important for all

To the Daily:

I admit, I rarely read the Daily. And when I do, it”s usually for the crossword puzzle.

However, I had to respond to the In Passing presented Monday (“B-School students: You”ll get no tears from me”). As a BBA in the Business School program, I am used to the “greedy business school” stereotype often used to typify University of Michigan Business School students. Is it accurate? For some people, perhaps.

But for a member of the Daily edit board, which is a consistent champion of student”s rights and defender of anything evil, to blatantly stereotype and blindly categorize every Business School student is ridiculous and hypocritical lines like “if jobs are so scarce maybe their time could be spent doing a little soul searching” and “it”s not that important that a few grads won”t be going to live in New York City at salaries starting in the hundreds of thousands” are ridiculous and laughable. Please, a little homework or an attempt to understand what you”re talking about wouldn”t kill you!

Why is it important when Business students can”t get jobs? Because, for example, when investment banks hire analysts and associates, (30 percent and 17 percent of BBAs and MBAs respectively, according to the UMBS annual report) companies can acquire capital more easily which means they grow.

When companies grow, they hire more people at all levels (yes, this includes the working class!). Sure, these people get compensated well but wouldn”t you expect exceptional compensation packages for working 100-hour weeks with an education from a top-tier institution? Exactly.

Jessica Cash

LSA senior

The writer is Vice-President of the Michigan Student Assembly

MSA “irrelevant,” “out of touch”

To the Daily:

Reading the Daily article (“MSA passes resolution about the Michigan Student Assembly resolution in favor of detained local Muslim leader” 1/16/02) has convinced me of a few that about MSA.

A) They are irrelevant

B) They are out of touch

C) They are wasting my money

Perhaps I have always known that they were the first two things and failed to admit it to myself however, allocating $500 to a symposium is drawing the line. Regardless of Haddad”s plight, the practical matter is that he has nothing to do with this university and should be outside the MSA”s jurisdiction, not to mention its list of priorities. I guess I didn”t have a problem with the MSA living in its own little world, though, until they started wasting my money. Didn”t we just pass a fund increase of $1 to the MSA? Not that it is a big expense, but please guys, spend it on something that benefits the student population. The MSA is not an avenue to advance your own personal agendas, so please try and focus.

Nathan Campbell

LSA junior

MSA”s leadership to blame for poor student-city relations

To the Daily:

I write in response to Michael Grass”s essay (“Whose Ann Arbor?” 1/16/01). Grass writes that the Michigan Student Assembly has been “mired in petty political bickering for years and has been unable to address student issues off-campus”. I would suggest that this is rather a lack of MSA”s administrative will and leadership than the fault of the entire Assembly.

Less than three years ago, students were regularly appointed to City Council committees, commissions and task forces. I, along with other MSA representatives, working in concert with the Mayor established a process that included student representation. This plan, which had it been followed by the current MSA administration, would address many of the complaints that Grass addresses. Rather than blame the Assembly as a whole (even though the Assembly bears some responsibility for lacking the ability to follow-through on well developed projects developed by former representatives), place the blame where it belongs on the shoulders of an inexperienced, politically motivated MSA administration which neither values (or uses) the vast wealth of experience held by current or former members of opposition parties because they are more interested in what they can accomplish and then tout in the next semester”s elections than they are for real student progress.

Andrew L. Wright

Alumnus

The writer is a former MSA representative and MSA City Liaison and is a member of the Downtown Development Authority Citizen”s Advisory Committee.