What about profiling white Christian men?

To the Daily:

After reading Louis Krane”s letter in the Daily (“What”s the big deal with racial profiling?” 12/3/01) I couldn”t help but feel a tinge of dismay. Krane attempts to justify racial profiling on the basis of protecting national security. Although I do agree that the U.S. government needs to take measures to ensure the security of its citizens, I also feel that to go so far as to profile anyone and interrogate him/her solely based on his/her religion or country of origin is absolutely absurd.

For a country that takes pride in glorious concepts known as freedom, justice and democracy, it should be embarrassing that we Americans would go as far as singling out individuals merely due to their associations. The U.S. government needs to take measures to prevent another Sept. 11th, just as it should take measures to prevent another Holocaust, Vietnam, and Oklahoma City. But let us think for a moment, is all the evil of the world caused by a Muslim or someone claiming to be Muslim? To be fair, according to Krane, we would need to single out all terrorists and the group or religion they claim to represent, and we would need to profile all members of that group to secure the safety of the American people.

Those who follow this logic will soon realize Muslims and Arabs need not be profiled any more than any other group or religion. One may recall only a few months ago, the perpetrator of the worst terrorist act against the United States (pre- Sept. 11) was not Muslim or Arab, but in fact a white Christian ex-serviceman known to us all as Timothy McVeigh, dubbed by his lawyer as “the boy next door.” Can we prevent another McVeigh by profiling all whites, or all Christians, or anyone who has served in the U.S. military? Racial profiling is not the solution, it strips some citizens of basic human rights while attempting to secure some others, and indeed it will only result in more anguish and more hate crimes. There will always be a bad egg in the basket, and if we cracked all our eggs just to find that bad egg, we would have lost our entire breakfast.

Hiba Ghalib LSA senior

Goodstein”s column off mark

To the Daily:

Raphael Goodstein grabbed his bully pulpit and started preaching against the BCS in his column on Monday, but not all of that criticism was deserved.

It is true that the BCS is generating a lot of money for all the teams that play in it, and this is why it will stay around past 2005 (when the contract is up). Currently, the Big Ten is guaranteed to give slightly more than $1 million to each school in the Conference (their one guaranteed berth pays out approximately $13 million, which is divided evenly), do you really think that they, or any other major conference, wants to give this payday up?

Not a chance, so if they were to move to a playoff system all six “major conferences” would demand an automatic bid. That means we have to take at least eight teams, now then that sounds a lot like the current system and all the smaller conferences are going to do their best to make sure they”re represented. Perhaps the big conferences will help them (to get more of their teams in as well, and thus more money in their pockets) so now we have a possible playoff schedule of 16 teams. How on earth are these teams going to be chosen?

One could argue that the winner of the conference should get an automatic bid, perhaps that makes sense. However, in the past couple years there have been several occasions on which the team who won the conference title was not the highest ranked team (for example, in 1998 Ohio State was higher than Wisconsin who was the official champion and in 2000 we were higher than the champion, Purdue). What happens in those cases? Who knows.

The BCS does provide a lot of excitement in my mind. Did anybody watch the last couple weekends of football? You can”t even count the number of important games that have shaped the outlook of the championship that have been played in the last three or four weeks. I hate to use the cliche, but that certainly does provide the excitement of a playoff. Just this past Saturday there were 3 games which all had a major effect on the BCS rankings, and all of them were decided by 2 points! It sucks that our cable, and the Big Ten”s TV juggernaut kept us from watching some of them, but that doesn”t take away the fact that this system makes sure the season is very exciting. Saying that no one cares about the outcome of the other bowl games is silly. I know I will certainly care about the Citrus Bowl, my friend at Illinois will care about whichever BC$ bowl they get, as will my other friend at Florida. But in a playoff, the OSU-Michigan game wouldn”t have mattered as much to them, and the Florida-Tennessee game wouldn”t have made a difference to me. This way, there is always a game from November on that determines the national championship.

Jeff Allotta Engineering junior

Letter writer quite ignorant

To the Daily:

As I read his letter, I wondered how educated Louis Krane is/was about his topic (“What”s the big deal with racial profiling?” 12/3/01). Sept. 11 was a tragedy but it appears people are using it as an excuse to implement racist practices in this country. It is so easy to say, “…because of limited resources and time…” but I wonder what would be said if the terrorists were white American men. After all, Timothy McVeigh and Eric Rudolph have indeed proven that they come in that shade and gender. If that had been the case in this instance, I wonder if white American males would welcome being interviewed by an F.B.I agent.

If Krane has been following the news, I am sure that by now, he would know that a white American male Taliban has been captured. From his logic, as a result of limited time and money, the best approach would be to search within the white American male community. Hmmm.

Most minorities would tell you racial profiling is being used at airports. But as we know, that did not prevent the atrocious crimes committed on Sept. 11. Instead of racial profiling “ensuring our safety” it violates the 14th Amendment. I shall not pretend to know anything about you, Louis Krane, but I doubt you received any of the letters in question. I honestly believe that you wouldn”t “whole-heartedly condone such measures,” if indeed you had.

Omena Ubogu Rackham

Wolverine Access working well

To the Daily:

I”d like to thank the people who worked so hard last week among a lot of student grumbling and fixed the problem with Wolverine Access. Right after the backpack option was announced several weeks ago, I went in and set my classes up. When I went to register from home today (with my dial-up account connected at 31200 bps), it took a total of three minutes to register for my five classes. That”s the fastest I”ve ever registered, at any university, and certainly beats the telephone for ease of use.

Again, thanks to the computer folks who enabled us to register online after all, rather than standing in line.

Laura Delfeld Pharmacy student

Salvation Army discriminatory

To the Daily:

I would like to urge all readers of the Daily to twink twice before giving money to the Salvation Army this holiday season. While the organization performs many good deeds, their policies regarding gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered people are discriminatory. The Salvation Army has refused to grant domestic partner benefits to its employees. This goes against the code of the city of Ann Arbor and the University. It is cruel and punishes those men and women who are not heterosexual. Please look into giving charity to other organizations this holiday season.

Adam Rosenwasse RC sophomore