Sacrilegious cartooning

Butler”s cartoon offensive, taken from Monty Python

To the Daily:

I must express my disappointment in the Daily”s publication of a cartoon by Samuel Butler (11/27/01) which was in very poor taste because it was a low blow at a man who has, through out his life, been a superior advocate of peace, liberty and euchumenism. The cartoon was very unoriginal because it stole directly from a Monty Python film (and not one of their good ones), and which was also insulting to the beliefs and theology of the Catholic church, that is to say all those who consider themselves Catholic. The cartoon was a gross misrepresentation of the church”s position, as it has never taken a position approaching that which is suggested by the cartoon. The Daily, a not-all-together terrible publication ought to take more care in what it publishes on its editorial page.

Joe mueller

RC junior

Mockery of Pope divides united nation

To the Daily:

I am shocked that, as we have united as Americans following Sept. 11, the Daily would print Samuel Butler”s cartoon (11/27/01) which mocks the Catholic faith. If Butler presented an accurate description of Catholic teaching, this would not be bigotry. However, Butler”s cartoon presents Catholic teaching in an inaccurate way (…the Pope declared today…). This can only be interpreted as religious bigotry. As a country and as a University community, we should not support religious bigotry. We should not be anti-Catholic, anti-Islam, anti- Judaism, anti-atheist, etc. Do we need another terrorist tragedy to remind us of this?

Andrew Nagrant

School of Public Health student

Wolverine Access fails its job, “U” students

To the Daily:

I miss the CRISP lady. Registration was easy and quick a few years ago. We dialed a local number and a nice computer-woman guided us through registration. But students had to complain about how we could not register via the Web.

Well, now you have it. Web registration. Hope you enjoy it, because I most certainly do not. I have been trying to get some kind of response out of wolverine access for four hours. Registration was faster when I used a phone, a printed class schedule and the old Wolverine Access all at once.

The registrar”s office tells me that they plan on starting a person-to-person registration process soon to alleviate the mess made by web registration. I was told students would be asked to wait in line for an hour or two at the LSA Building. Good. Then we can jump back in time ten years, back to when you had to wait in line. But you could see the end of the line and you knew about how long you had to wait.

Has this technology made our lives easier? Do you have more free time because of web registration? I think not. Before the University starts using a new registration method we need to make sure it works. Web registration has not run smoothly at the University since it was introduced. I liked it better when I could say to a friend, “Hey, did you CRISP yet? I just CRISPed this morning.”

Scott Brunner

LSA senior

but stop whining

To the Daily:

In reading the Nov. 27th, edition of the Daily, I would like to ask the students that commented these questions: Do you remember not owning a computer? Do you remember when the Internet was an exciting new form of communication?

Well, I do! I remember waiting in line, outside of a building hoping to get a class that might remotely help me fulfill my course catalog requirements. For hours. These days, college students don”t have to get dressed or put on a pair of shoes to register. They grab a cup of coffee, fire up the PC and boom, they can register. Frankly, I am so tired of hearing everyone complain about how slow it is to register. As if a couple of minutes to an hour out of your life is so hard? Please. Maybe we should be thanking the people that work so hard to make this University run as efficiently as it does, instead of jumping up to complain when we don”t get the results we want in a nanosecond.

Jennifer Ohren-Hoeft

M-Pathways computer consultant

Devoted Creed fans fire back

To the Daily:

I wasn”t aware that the Arts section of the Daily has become yet another forum for Christian bashing. Nick Woomer”s Nov. 27 review (“Singlehandedly defining new “Suckcore” genre”) lacked any recognizable form of musical criticism but seemed to be written for the sole purpose of furthering what seem to be his as well as the Daily”s political agenda. The writer even admitted this early in the article:

“Some might say that the religious undertones in Creed”s music are what make them so awful and I”m somewhat partial to this explanation.” This is not music criticism, my friends, but empty propoganda.

Woomer spent the rest of the article extollling artists like Woody Guthrie, whose music is far more explicitly Christian, but laced with socialist and anti-government messages. In this time of national tragedy, a return to our Judeo-Christian roots is essential, and the popularity of Creed is a comfort to those of us Americans who believe in God and the power of good, hard guitar-driven music to bring us together.

Next time Woomer wishes to share his radical political agenda with us, I recommend he do it outside of an Arts review.

Mayukh Raychaudhuri

LSA junior

To the Daily:

I am very upset with Nick Woomer”s review about the band Creed and their new CD. In case Woomer didn”t know, you need to listen to a CD first to give it a review. Then after that that you should listen to it again and again.

I personally love their new CD. Now Woomer is telling me he gave it a grade of an F. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If he didn”t notice, both former tracks “Higher” and “With Arms Wide Open” were and are still great songs. I suggest someone else on the Daily”s staff review the album. If you look on Billboard”s charts you will see that “My Sacrifice” is ranked the 22nd best song in America right now. Now tell me, how does a band that has a top 25 hit get a grade of a F on their CD. As for the Christian aspect, you need to actually read their lyrics for there are good messages in them. He actually has to use those things in his head called brains and think deeper than what is written. You guys are totally off on giving this CD a grade of a F.

Douglas Kremer Engineering freshman