Chant at Notre Dame hockey game was offensive

To the Daily:

While one of my favorite parts of attending Michigan hockey games is the unwavering enthusiasm of students, I found the chant “dirty Catholics” at the end of Friday’s Notre Dame game extremely offensive. Sports have paved the way for cultural breakthroughs in both race and religion. This chant was an unfortunate and unacceptable step back for campus.

Sportsmanship should not stop where the ice ends and the stands begin.

Janice Roller

Alum

Learning lessons from the Virginia Tech massacre

To the Daily:

As a 2007 graduate of Virginia Tech, I was shocked at how late the notification of Wednesday’s homicide adjacent to North Campus was sent out. The incident occurred at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday. I did not receive an e-mail until after noon the next day from College of Engineering Dean David Munson – almost fifteen hours after the incident. Last spring, people were calling for the heads of the Virginia Tech’s president and chief of police because they thought the two hours between the first murders and the notification of students, faculty and staff was an irresponsible length of time.

The situation facing Virginia Tech administrators that morning is not entirely unlike the one so near to our campus Wednesday. They thought that the first shooting was an isolated incident and were pursuing a “person of interest.” I realize that this particular homicide did not occur on campus like those in Blacksburg, but the person of interest is a student and it is reasonable to think that he could have been on campus at any point after the incident.

Officials at Virginia Tech made the best decisions they could last April given the information they had at the time. However, now we know more and should be better prepared to protect ourselves. The least we can do for the victims of that massacre is learn from the tragedy. I doubt that anything would have occurred differently last week had we been notified earlier about the homicide near our campus. But it would have made us be more vigilant in case something happened. It is always important to be aware of one’s surroundings, but we so often get lost in our own lives that we need to be alerted to those times when we need to be especially vigilant.

Katrina Ramsdell

Engineering graduate student

Lobbying for graduation at the Big House isn’t childish

To the Daily:

I’m writing in response to Theresa Kennelly’s column in which she argued that University students are more concerned about where graduation will be than they were about the presidential primaries last Tuesday (Where our interests lie, 01/17/2008). I fail to see how attending a forum to oppose another blunder by the University is not “adult-like,” as Kennelly argued. I also fail to see how a liberal student body not showing up to a primary in which half of the Democratic candidates weren’t even on the ballot is not “adult-like.”

I would like to remind everyone that the Michigan primary had virtually no effect whatsoever on the Democratic presidential nominee because the Democratic National Committee stripped of all of Michigan’s delegates and the only major candidate on the ballot was Hillary Clinton. The Republican National Committee stripped Michigan of half of its delegates.

However, the graduation relocation does affect students, despite Kennelly’s insistence that we need to grow up. Many of us have had less than amicable relations with the University administration. Many of our families have invested huge sums of money over the past four years for our education here. Many students have families flying in from across the nation to experience Ann Arbor and visit Michigan Stadium for the first time. I’m not disputing the importance of voting or claiming that it would be easy for the University to hold graduation in the Big House. But I don’t need to be lectured about how to behave like an adult, and I certainly don’t need to be told that we don’t deserve a better graduation experience than the one we are going to receive.

John Munoz

Alum