The lazy do not deserve our hard-earned handouts

I nearly fell off my chair reading Brian Flaherty’s viewpoint yesterday (Homeless, but still worth help, 11/12/2008). Flaherty wrote that a homeless person with a sign reading, “I won’t lie, I’m just lazy,” deserves to be given food, clothing and shelter. Even though I hold moderate political beliefs, his opinions blew my mind. I doubt even Karl Marx would have agreed with Flaherty.

The idea that I should make money so that it can be taken away and given to people who refuse to work is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody should have to give up hard-earned money to the government so that it can literally be redistributed to lazy bums. Using the article’s logic, every class at the University should take some of the points received by A students and give those points to others who openly admit to being lazy and receive Ds or lower.

This neo-communist mindset of liberals who seem to think that they have a right to play Robin Hood for the lazy has got to go. There is nothing wrong with giving money to charity and helping victims of events beyond their control, but I would rather shoot myself than reward leeches on society.

Sam van Kleef
LSA freshman

There are many options for the homeless in Ann Arbor

Though Brian Flaherty brought up some good points with regards to helping the needy in his viewpoint yesterday (Homeless, but still worth help, 11/12/2008), I feel like he isn’t very familiar with Ann Arbor’s homeless situation. Downtown Ann Arbor has a homeless shelter, and churches often offer shelter to people during the winter. At the Delonis Center, you can receive three meals during the week and two meals on the weekend, take a shower, do laundry and have space to store belongings.

Though homelessness is often associated with beggars on the sidewalk asking for money, many homeless people have a job or are in the process of finding a job. Some may own a cell phone or even have established relatives. There may be many reasons for their homelessness — perhaps they were former prisoners, former alcoholics, former drug users, veterans, mentally ill or simply down on their luck. It is hard to say why this man Flaherty saw became homeless. One thing for certain: The man chose to be on the street over being at a homeless shelter with many amenities.

Donating our time and money to a homeless shelter so these places can better serve Ann Arbor’s homeless community is a better use of our resources. Please visit www.annarborshelter.org for more information.

Lang Sui
Engineering graduate student