A statement from Students for a Democratic Society

To the Daily:
The history of our organization, Students for a Democratic Society, is a varied one. In the heyday of our previous incarnation, SDS led the national peace movement, mobilizing students across the country in the pursuit of democracy. Toward the end, however, things began to unravel: in-fighting, power grabs and an expanding left caused the organization to collapse under its own weight. After its dissolution in 1969, several new groups formed from the wreckage. The most infamous of these was the Weatherman Organization.

The Weatherman’s tactics were denounced by the SDS of the time. We denounce them today. Today’s SDS is a different organization from the SDS of the past, but we maintain the same basic ideas of democracy and student rights. We are now working on several new campaigns. We are deeply concerned over the University’s treatment of its temporary workers as well as its involvement in Iraq. We encourage you to come to our meetings and find out who we are and what we are working on.

Syma Khan, Alexandra Lazar, Matthew Roney, Kelly Simmons

Khan, Roney and Simmons are LSA juniors, Lazar is an LSA sophomore. They are the organizers of the University chapter of Students for a Democratic Society.

Basketball team is a perennial disappointment

To the Daily:
Daily sports writer H. Jose Bosch put it well when he wrote, “Last night’s game was ugly. Britney Spears at an open bar ugly,” referencing Tuesday’s basketball game against Michigan State (Ballhandling, pride push Spartans past Wolverines, 02/14/2007). To be honest, the Spears analogy doesn’t even do justice to this team, which unlike Spears, can’t recuperate after a big night. I, like many students, had high expectations for Coach Tommy Amaker with his recruiting prowess and Duke championship pedigree. But his teams have done nothing but disappoint – with last year’s monumental collapse highlighting the Amaker tenure.

This year is no different. Yes, Daniel Horton is gone – but surely there is enough talent and upperclassmen leadership to at least compete? Apparently not. A flat offense and a lack of intensity is the norm – led by a coach who often looks unanimated and somehow surprised himself while sitting quietly on the bench in his coat and turtleneck.

Barring an unexpected big run in the Big Ten Tourney, this looks like another disappointment of a year. Is it really worth it to wait around for savior recruits to resurrect a program and a coach who routinely come out with the same tired product game after game?

Charles Reynolds

LSA senior

Columnist makes conveniently selective accusations

To the Daily:
In his column Wednesday (Law and Order? 02/14/2007) Daily columnist John Stiglich decries the supposed dilution of the principle of “innocent until proven guilty” by “liberals.” Stiglich however, conveniently forgets to mention the most egregious violation of the “innocent until proven guilty” principle currently taking place: the indefinite detention of detainees at Guantanamo Bay prison, who are being held arbitrarily without trial.

While some of them may well be terrorists, many are simply innocent civilians handed to the authorities by neighbors lured by monetary rewards or settling a score. Unless they are brought to trial and given a chance to defend themselves and prove their innocence, they have simply been preemptively determined guilty.

While Stiglich blames “liberals in the media” for holding the Duke lacrosse players guilty in the court of opinion, it must be pointed out that the players are indeed getting due process in the court of law. Due process applies in the court of law, not in the realm of opinion, where anyone is entitled to express their opinion about guilt or innocence (you know, free speech). The Guantanamo detainees, meanwhile, are being denied all legal due process whatsoever – and not by liberals.

Sayan Bhattacharyya

Rackham

Don’t give up on the basketball team yet

To the Daily:
Having witnessed the Michigan-Michigan State basketball game Tuesday night, I admit it sucked. The second half was a debacle, but dwelling on it will do no good either. At this point in the season, pessimism from players, coaches and fans will be the team’s worst enemy as they try to make it into the Big Dance.

The team can still make it. The worst of the road schedule is over. Our final two road games at Illinois and Minnesota are winnable. Our home games against Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State are opportunities for key wins as well. We still have a good team here, let’s not back down and give up. We’ve been suffering for almost nine years now, having not been invited to the NCAA tournament, and I don’t think we want that number to rise to 10.

But the season’s not over yet. We still have plenty of basketball left to turn things around. We have got five games left – three wins will get us to 20 (and somewhere in there will be a win that will impress the selection committee). Keep up the optimism people! Let’s go against what’s happened in past seasons and finish strong this time.

Whitaker Martin

LSA freshman

For safety’s sake, students deserve to have roads plowed

To the Daily:
After Tuesday night’s blizzard, I was not surprised when the roads in the student ghettoes were still covered in snow as were most of the roads on the way to North Campus. Over the course of this winter, many of these streets will remain untended until the sun finally comes out and the melts the ice sheet. Ann Arbor needs to improve its snow removal procedure so that all streets around town are cleared quickly and are safe for everyone.

Brian Murray

Engineering senior

Walking to class through a foot of snow worth the memories

To the Daily:
To all the professors who still held class on Wednesday: Please accept my sincere thanks. I trust that your car rides to campus were warm and comfortable. As for me, now I can truthfully tell my children that way back in 2007, their mother had to walk a mile to class in a foot of snow.

Rebecca Maxey

LSA senior