It’s fair to delay Prop. 2, but follow it next year

To the Daily:

The University’s motion to delay Proposal 2’s application to its admissions process until finishing its annual cycle is not only appropriate but is in the very spirit of Proposal 2. By outlawing affirmative action policies, Proposal 2 strives to eliminate double standards. The University and University President Mary Sue Coleman are absolutely correct that evaluating individuals applying for spots in the same incoming class under separate sets of criteria is unfair.

What they have failed to do is see past their rhetoric of diversity to the fact that they have been applying a double standard all along with their affirmative action policies. While it is inappropriate to “flip the switch” mid-year, the change should be made this summer.

If the University then contends that making the transition will be a difficult process, it will have revealed its inherent bias. How hard can it be to ignore a single, optional question on the application? If it is that difficult, the question should be stricken from the application altogether. Should the University claim that it needs to collect demographic information, it can collect that data after students enroll or on a separate, anonymous form. At that point I could praise the University for being truly colorblind and choosing the “leaders and best” on their merits.

Ed Cormany
LSA senior

As online material expands, so should page limits

To the Daily:

I was sitting in the Fishbowl the other day trying to put the final touches on a term paper when I ran across one small problem: I had just used up my allotted 400 free pages of printing.

More and more professors and graduate student instructors are using the capabilities of CTools to post lecture notes, required readings and practice exams for their classes or labs. This is no problem at all. In fact, CTools is a great supplementary learning tool that can only benefit any student who wishes to use it.

However, with the increasing number of notes and papers being posted, it is becoming nearly impossible for LSA students to use them in a tangible form and keep up with presentations and papers that need to be printed out and turned in. The University should not penalize students monetarily for printing out the pages they need for class notes, projects and papers.

In fact, not all students are penalized or held to such stingy page limits. For example, students in the College of Engineering have been limited to 2,500 pages in CAEN labs this year, when they previously had no limit. Some of my engineering friends say that even this comparatively large number is not enough.

I understand that giving unlimited pages can be troublesome when students abuse the privilege and use the pages for noneducational purposes. I believe, though, that if the University wants all its students to maximize their learning experiences, it should provide the basic necessities, like unlimited (or at least more), free printable pages, especially with an educational supplement like CTools.

Eric Portenga

LSA junior

Printers jam more often when printing on Both sides

To the Daily:

In response to Stuart Wagner’s letter pertaining to policies to encourage double-sided printing in Campus Computing Sites (Policies to encourage double-sided printing would save innocent trees, 12/11/2006): At Sites, we conduct duplex versus simplex testing. Students frequently ask why we don’t just default all printing to duplex. Our full report can be found at www.umich.edu/~sites/printing/duplex.html.

In short, we have found that duplex printing takes more than twice as long to process and increases the jam rate by 200 to 500 percent. Users are much more likely to abandon printouts when waiting in long lines at the print queue. These jams are the leading reason why system-wide duplex printing is not a viable model for our current environment. Duplex printing actually consumes more resources in terms of paper usage, dollars required to repair printers and staff labor time to and from our near-80 locations.

Robert Jones
The letter writer is the Campus Computing
Sites printing coordinator.