There are no quick fixes when it comes to economy

I’m voting for Ron Paul. No, not really. But he seems less crazy by the day. During Tuesday’s night presidential debate both candidates were asked “Will the economy get worse before it gets better?” Of course, both Barack Obama and John McCain spouted out some jingoistic stump speech about the strength of the United States and then underlined a policy of theirs that they said would help the economy but really wouldn’t. I’m sick of Obama, McCain and the media pandering to aesthetics rather than real solutions.

I have news for you: the Dow is going to fall during the next few weeks. No bailout, interest rate cut or speech about the American worker is going to prevent that. Blaming the fat cats on Wall Street won’t either. We’re facing a global financial meltdown, and apparently both Obama and McCain think that kicking lobbyists out of Washington D.C. and changing how health care is taxed will change that. Give me a break.

Let’s get some brainpower together and come up with a real solution that will be best for the United States in five, 10 or 30 years down the road. We can’t fix this gigantic problem tomorrow, and anything we do try will just hurt us more in the long run.

Everyone needs to recreate a scene from the 1976 movie “Network.” Open up your window and scream, “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!” Look it up on YouTube if you need inspiration.

Peter Saul
LSA sophomore

When designing graphics, remember the colorblind

In Wednesday’s paper, there were two different pie charts on the front page accompanying two different stories (With stem cell proposal on ballot, ‘U’ toes the line and Officials debate pot proposal, 10/08/2008). Unfortunately, I was not able to read them. I am in the roughly 7 percent of the male population that is colorblind, and the colors in the chart looked too similar for me to differentiate between them.

I’m asking the Daily to consider choosing better colors in its color-coded figures. I know that black and white charts aren’t as visually appealing, but everyone could read them.

Michael Locher
Engineering sophomore