Controversial artwork celebrates freedoms

To the Daily:
Thank you so much for publishing a photo of Natsuko Katayama’s “Hermaphrodite” on your front page (Artwork spurs controversy at Flint, 03/22/05). Your action signified to me freedom of expression, freedom of the press and freedom to celebrate the androgynous elements that exist within each of us. It should remind us that there are fundamentally as many different kinds of sexuality as there are individuals.

Theodore Grenier
Staff

MSA annoying, should leave students alone

To the Daily:
I hate to break the hearts of all the student politicians who have spent the past week bothering people in the Diag and getting up before class to chalk sidewalks, but elections are now over. I’d like to breathe a collective sigh of relief for us normal people on campus who simply didn’t care and hopefully send some kind of message to those people who have been flooding my inbox for the last two days. Aside from the fact that I got to feel extremely popular for the few seconds I spent waiting for my inbox to load before I noticed that 25 out of the 27 messages that I received overnight were from people arguing about platform inconsistencies and whining about rules violations, the nature of elections here at the University just isn’t conducive to making me care about anything regarding student politics.

I think a recent email from the Michigan Progressive Party sums up my indifference and frustration appropriately: “Does election spam drive you crazy? So far this election, Students 4 Michigan has sent over 500,000 unsolicited campaign emails. Did this attack on your inbox make you feel better about student government or encourage you to vote? The Michigan Progressive Party realizes that no one likes being besieged by election spam.” Now, I appreciate that the MPP realizes that people are sick of elections and sick of spam, but what I can’t understand is why they would send me an unsolicited email accusing Students 4 Michigan of sending unsolicited emails. If they haven’t figured it out yet, this is why nobody cares about elections. Please, go back to planning Ludacris concerts or dressing “business casual” – do whatever makes you feel important, just leave me alone.

Franklin Shaddy
LSA freshman

Placing artwork on front page ‘in questionable taste’

To the Daily:
When I finally got my hands on a Daily Wednesday afternoon, I was very surprised to see a picture of a naked person on the front page. Never mind the fact that the person was a hermaphrodite; if I wanted to see nudity, I could just Google it. One would think that because the picture was so controversial that it had to be removed from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender offices, it might offend some people’s sensibilities. So what reason, other than shock value, is there to running a picture – charcoal drawing or not – of a naked person on the front cover?

The Daily could have put the picture on its website and directed individuals to go there if they were interested in seeing what had caused such an uproar in Flint. But to put it on the front page, where people have to see it, is in questionable taste.

David Swedler
Public Health