Michigan was battleground long before Palin took notice

In his column yesterday, Brandon Conradis made it seem like Sarah Palin is the only candidate acknowledging Michigan voters (Noticed by No. 2, 10/14/2008). If Conradis had done some research, he would have found out that Barack’s Obama campaign is still in Michigan, he and Joe Biden have traveled here often and, in fact, they opened up a brand new Campaign for Change volunteering office in Wyandotte on Saturday even though McCain has already dropped out of the state. It would’ve been nice for Conradis to acknowledge these efforts.

Besides, Palin and McCain have no reason to come to Ann Arbor. This area is so liberal that spending thousands of dollars and risking their lives wouldn’t be worth the extra dozen or so votes and the risk that coming would provoke more people to vote against them.

Michigan should feel lucky to have been a battleground state for so long. Obama and Biden, and even McCain, have visited this state multiple times. Most other states have not had that luxury.

Reda Jaber
Medical School

U.S. capitalism fails because it isn’t really capitalism

The most important word in the phrase “free market capitalism” is free. Freedom, I believe, can only be defined as the absence of coercion. Free market capitalism is the economic system where all property (and therefore means of production) is privately held and all exchanges are voluntary.

Recently, much disdain and derision has been directed at free market capitalism. But we don’t have a purely capitalist system. To blame capitalism for the latest economic crisis is like blaming the spread offense for Michigan’s losses this year. Whether it’s a monetary manipulation, price controls or the lack of a running quarterback, it is clear that the idealized system can’t be blamed if it doesn’t exist.

What is often called capitalism today is actually closer to corporatism or fascism. We have a market, but due to a manipulation of prices, we have influenced the allocation of goods away from what consumers want. In a free market system, there would be no Federal Reserve, no Department of Energy or Education and certainly no World Trade Organization or International Monetary Fund. When I was reading the Daily’s review yesterday of the film “Battle in Seattle,” it wasn’t clear if the author was able to make this distinction (Seattle calling, 10/14/2008). This is a common error. People from the right like Larry Kudlow and those from the left like Eleanor Clift have presented our system as free market capitalism.

Free market capitalists would protest and fight alongside whoever wanted to abolish the WTO or the IMF. Add the Federal Reserve to this list, and I will drive the tank.

Vincent Patsy
LSA senior

This year’s election about more than single issues

I am writing in response to Elise Aikman’s letter to the editor Monday about Barack Obama’s support for abortion rights (Obama’s pro-choice views go against message of hope,10/12/2008). Aikman said that she normally votes Democrat but is voting Republican this year because of Obama’s abortion stance.

I hope she realizes that regardless of what decision any particular woman makes, we are still in a war, going into a recession and in the midst of an energy crisis. In addition, already born children are being denied medical attention, and these same children aren’t being sufficiently educated. I find it incredible that people like Aikman someone could base their vote on one issue. Besides, John McCain still maintains the belief that abortion should remain legal in the case of incest, rape and if a mother’s health is in jeopardy.

In her letter, Aikman also repeatedly referred to unborn fetuses as “citizens.” Would she also support the idea of charging women who miscarry for manslaughter?

Lastly, it would be undemocratic to deny a woman the right to chose whether she wanted to have a baby or not. If women can’t choose, they would find “uncivilized,” dangerous and unregulated ways to have abortions.

I believe that to see any hope for this nation, we need to give the children that we already have the best chance for a bright future by providing them with health care, a better education and the opportunity to attend college. I believe this is the only way we can take a bottom-up approach to helping future generations.

Adrienne Dusky
Kinesiology freshman