Racial debate leaves out other side of the story

To the Daily:

While you have done a great job writing articles about the community awareness of racial injustices against Asians and other minorities, you haven’t portrayed the other side. I’m obviously not white, but I bet you haven’t heard this side of the story. 1) Probably half of the Asians I have met on this campus are predominantly friends with Asians or very involved in Asian extracurricular groups. I call this self-segregation, as Haosi Wu did in his letter to the editor (Asian Americans need more productive activism, 09/29/2005). 2) When I first arrived on campus, I was told by another Asian that I was weird because most of my friends were white and questioned why I thought whites were better than my “own people.” 3) I saw an Asian friend at Necto one night while waiting in the coat check line at the end of the night. He was with a group of Asian males. He asked me who I was with and I vaguely pointed behind me, saying I was with my girlfriends. There was a group of white girls behind me, and a group of Asian girls farther ahead. He told me I better hurry because they were leaving, but I turned and saw that he thought I meant the Asian girls. He instantly assumed that I was with them. I corrected him and then he scoffed at me, asking me if I thought I was too cool for “them” and why he never sees me with my “own.”

I have experienced racism in my life – try growing up in Grosse Pointe. I’m not saying that the response to the incident from last week is wrong, but I think everyone needs to take it with a grain of salt. Racial prejudice exists in many forms. The film “Crash” was a great portrayal of discrimination in many forms, but often times people only focus on one leg of the issue. My point here is, I guess, that Asians may be victims of prejudice at times, but I’ve heard Asians condemn whites more than I’ve heard whites utter slurs. Why must the pigment of our skin or the shape of our eyes matter? Everyone needs to see past the shell to what’s inside all of us. We’re all part of the same species, we’re all humans.

Cindy Chu

LSA senior

A2 resident weighs in on hate crime incident

To the Daily:

I have no formal affiliation with the University, but, as a resident of Ann Arbor, I have a couple of observations about the recent allegations of racial intimidation against two Asian students (Suspects dispute hate crime, 09/26/2005).

First, if convicted in a court of law, the offending students should be expelled from the University. Students should be expected to uphold certain ethical and legal standards, regardless of whether they are on or off campus.

With that said, these students need to be afforded the same rights as anyone else until they are convicted.

It would be hypocritical to punish or castigate these students until they are found guilty.

Second, I do not quite see the connection between the increasingly mystifying liberal shibboleth, “diversity,” and the heinous act that allegedly occurred. Much as University President Mary Sue Coleman and her cohorts may try, no number of consortiums, curriculum changes or forums will eliminate stupid people from this planet.

Coleman recently speculated that a lack of cultural knowledge or education may be the cause for such incidents. I doubt it. Last time I checked, urinating on someone, regardless of race or ethnicity, isn’t on any map of common sense or probity. I don’t doubt that education and exposure are necessary in combating racial bias. However, if what has been alleged actually happened, let’s see it for what it was: an isolated incident of idiocy by soon-to-be former University students.

Brent Dupay

Ann Arbor resident

Officiating crew should go back to the rulebook

To the Daily:

Dear Dennis Lipski, Carl Britt, Bob Bassett, Tom Krispinsky, Dino Paganelli, Henry Zaborniak and Joe Duncan (otherwise known as the officiating crew for the Michigan vs. Michigan State game on Saturday):

I would like to bring to your attention a certain document. It’s called the “2005 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations.” Maybe you’ve heard of it. But then again, seeing as how you ruled that Chad Henne fumbled the ball while attempting a forward pass, maybe not. In any case, let me draw your attention to section 19, which governs passes. Article 2 paragraph b states, “When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts the forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or ball after forward movement begins and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.”

If you are still in doubt, let me further convince you with paragraph c: “When in question, the ball is passed and not fumbled during an attempted forward pass.”

Although we managed to get the win despite that call, in the future, we the fans would greatly appreciate it if you could get the calls right. I’m sure the players would like that too.

David Han

Engineering Senior

Student loan program cuts could slip under the radar

To the Daily:

I am writing concerning legislation, House Resolution 609 – which is set to be voted on as part of the Budget Reconciliation Act by the U.S. House of Representatives in early November. This bill will cut $9 billion out of loan programs for college students, consequently raising the average debt for students with loans by about $5,800. Alarmingly, H.R.609 has slipped under the radar of most on college campuses who will be drastically and detrimentally impacted. As a student, I believe these cuts should be more widely publicized, both on and off campus, so that Americans can communicate to their representatives in Congress whether they believe higher education should be shortchanged in our national budget. Legislation concerning education has implications too great to simply be snuck past, hidden in a larger, more complex budget bill.

Sebastien Lounis

LSA junior

Democrats should stand up for what they believe

To the Daily:

I fully agree with John Stiglich that the Democratic Party has been sitting on the sidelines for far too long (Dividing America, 09/29/2005). It’s about time the Democratic leadership stands up and fights for what it believes: higher taxes, killing innocent babies, bigger government, control of our children, promoting racism and bigotry, opposing human rights and the list goes on. Yes, it’s about time it stood up for what it believes!

Art Josin

Music graduate student