Criminals deserve to be repelled with deadly force

To the Daily:

Do you actually believe, as per your editorial on Friday (A Duty to Retreat, 09/23/2005), that decent, law-abiding people should just retreat in the face of an attack by the criminals? And why? Because the “poor” criminal might get hurt? Give me a break. Criminals don’t deserve the back of a retreating victim; they deserve a smoking Colt .45! Besides, no criminal who is out to steal or assault or even kill his victim is going to simply walk away because the victim turned his back and retreated. On the other hand, the victim is only going be at a tactical disadvantage when retreating.

I would have been ambiguous about this before this past summer, but working a night-shift job, where I traveled alone at midnight, made me realize the importance of legally protecting the self-defense rights of those who might need to defend themselves. Thus, the legislation allowing people to retaliate against an attack deserves support.

The question is not one of politics, but of principle. It is not good, but evil that must be made to retreat in a confrontation. As Edmund Burke’s famous quote goes, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Thus, I say, do not retreat in the face of a criminal attack, but chase them away with high-speed lead!

Sudhaunshu Kulkarni

LSA senior

LGBT community faces hatred, conservatives don’t

To the Daily:

“Coming out” and identifying yourself as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender is an extremely personal and arduous process. Clearly the College Republicans do not understand this life-long progression and the everyday struggles that come with it. I was disgusted when I read the front page of the Daily and saw the headline Conservative students come out on Diag (09/22/2005). How dare the College Republicans mock the LBGT community and National Coming Out Day.

Currently the U.S. military is actively seeking out gays to remove from its ranks, the Catholic Church is on a witch hunt to bar gays in the clergy, three men have been sentenced in the brutal murder of Gwen Araujo (a transgender teen) and the Republicans claim they are in a hostile environment? They need to raise awareness? Conservative Pride? Shame on the Republicans.

If the Republicans want to be respected and have their voice heard, perhaps they shouldn’t trivialize something so important to people on campus and in the community.

Kirk Burkhart

University researcher

Fan doesn’t have the same feelings for Lloyd anymore

To the Daily:

Breaking up is never easy to do, but sometimes it has to be done. Before you go thinking this is like all the other times we’ve had rough times in this relationship, it’s not. Things started off great between us. We first got together, and it was wonderful. We even went to a national championship together. But that was then, and during the last four years, we’ve gotten into a rut. How do you think it makes us feel when you’ve barely shown up to the last four Notre Dame, Ohio State and bowl games? Our friends and family just make fun of us and tell us how much better we can do. We’re too good for this and deserve better. OSU’s coach treats them well and is constantly getting them nice things like road and bowl wins. We know we’re way better than OSU and should have someone who treats us as such.

This happens every year. You let us down in a nonconference game and the first road game and then go on to make up for it by rattling off a bunch of great wins, and we forgive you, but come November and January, you just let us down again. Not this year. Not again. Don’t get us wrong, we’ve had some great times during the last few years. The big comeback in Minnesota in 2003 and last year against State were wonderful, but it’s simply not enough. Trust us, it’s not you, it’s us. We might just be better seeing other people. There’s a guy at Cal who we’ve been noticing a lot as well as a ton of guys around the country who would love to have a chance to be with us. We’ll always have the memories, but Lloyd, let’s just be friends.

Nelson Lopez

Alum

Fan thinks it is time for Coach Carr to move on

To the Daily:

It is time to fire “Loyal” Lloyd Carr. I know, I know the Michigan faithful will clamor that we haven’t had a losing season in his tenure and that we haven’t had a whiff of an NCAA violation, but enough is enough. Some of you may think that I don’t have school spirit. You’re wrong. I’m not a sorority girl on my cell phone, and I follow recruiting and the football team more than anyone that I know.

With this being said, let’s look at the facts. Michigan is 0-6 in the first road game the past six years. In the past four years, he is 1-3 against Ohio State University, 1-3 against Notre Dame and 1-3 in bowl games. Now, optimists will point out that the bowls have been against good teams, but if you look at the past couple years of Michigan football, it is readily apparent that our football team is slipping under Carr. The main reason why any team is 2-6 against its chief rivals and 1-3 in bowl games and 0-6 in the first games on the road is simple: It’s coaching. The team is obviously not ready to play games, and it is readily apparent that this is not the fault of the players. It is the fault of the coaching.

How many times have we had a clear first half lead (like this weekend and last year against Notre Dame) and then have just blown it in the second half and played it soft? How many times have the other teams made defensive and offensive adjustments after half time while our coaches have done NOTHING?

We have three plays that we run now. Between the tackles, three-step drop and the home run ball. What happened to the balanced offense? What happened to playing with the talent that your team has and not with a restricted playbook that Saint Lloyd has?

I’m tired of this, I’m tired of 9-3 seasons and I’m tired of Conservative Carr. It is time for a non-Michigan Man to lead this team. It is time for Athletic Director Bill Martin to go outside of the University to hire a head coach.

The game has passed you by, Coach Carr. Do the University, its fans and the players a favor, and do the right thing: Become assistant athletic director.

Jason Bourgeois

LSA junior