Let the people decide on

Roe v. Wade

To the Daily:

In his dissent (The Bush Court, 09/09/05), John Stiglich boasts about how a John Roberts-led Bush court could overturn Roe v. Wade. He writes, “(They) could ensure liberals’ worst fear – that the people decide on abortion.” Despite being fiercely, 100-percent pro-choice, I actually agree with Stiglich and would actually be happy to see Roe v. Wade overturned. Why, you might ask? Because it would be the single biggest windfall the Democratic Party has ever seen. In the words of our “glorious” leader, “Bring it on!” Polls show almost two-thirds of the country believes that Roe should not be overturned. According to one Pew poll, fewer than 10 percent of Americans believe that abortion should be completely illegal. So yes, let’s allow the people to decide.

For decades, Republicans have been screaming until red in the face about the injustice of abortion without ever being able to outlaw it. Let’s let them vote and have them answer to the people who elected them. Let’s have Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) explain why he thinks a raped girl must be compelled by law to carry her rapist’s child to term. Let’s have Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) explain why he believes fertility clinics should be outlawed because of the mere chance that an embryo might be discarded. Let’s have Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) justify why he contemplated filibustering the bipartisan-supported stem-cell bill earlier this summer. Let’s have all our Republican leaders look us in the eye and tell us that our mothers and our daughters, our sisters and our cousins, our aunts and our nieces are all worth less to them than a mere embryo.

Ryan Manthey

LSA senior

College ratings fail to grade education quality

To the Daily:

The American obsession with convenient statistics (Michigan’s rating drops to 3rd, 09/09/05) has damaged the college search process. You can’t grade an entire school with one or even a dozen numbers. It takes plain research and campus visits to judge the quality of a college, with every prospective student responding differently. Even then, any student can ruin a college experience for himself regardless of the school’s quality.

At the end of the day, these rankings are bandied about like sports scores and celebrity gossip. They’re fun to know and make nice dinner-party conversation among parents. It’s unfortunate though that so many high school students mistake them for decent college evaluations.

James Cho

Engineering junior