Appreciating Obama, while disagreeing with his policies

In 1854, delegates gathered in Jackson, Mich. because they were frustrated with the current political situation and appalled at the lack of dignity afforded to black people in this nation. They vowed to fight against slavery and to ensure that dignity be given to all Americans, regardless of race. The dream of the Republican Party has been fulfilled today.

Truly this season, this candidate and this time have been that of a government shaped “by the people.” It remains to be seen whether President-elect Barack Obama will govern for the people, but I fervently hope and pray he will. On campus, the College Republicans will work toward making sure that the government functions in a manner that protects our interests. We will still be raising issues, awareness and being an active voice in the debate on our nation’s direction.

I would like to take some space to thank our partners in this debate, the College Democrats, who, with the exception of some vandalism on Election Day eve, have been honest, forthright and open in their campaigning. It’s been a true pleasure working with them now, and we look forward to ensuring this great debate and excitement does not fade away.

Brady Smith
The letter writer is the chair of the University’s chapter of the College Republicans.

Post-election partisanship not in our best interests

As I took my John McCain signs down and put my campaign apparel into storage, I listened to President-elect Barack Obama talk about the resurgence of the American Dream. Despite my initial disappointment and disagreements with him on numerous issues, I went to sleep content as I relished what his historic victory means for this country and the world.

But I was quickly disappointed by the reaction of some students to the result of the election. Through informal conversations and Facebook status changes, I became disheartened with the pessimism and partisanship in this country. Some elated Obama supporters declared that only now do they “believe in America,” while disgruntled McCain backers predicted an era of “socialism” and threatened to “move to Canada.”

We are all Americans, and I am still proud of and love my country. The election of any particular candidate should not make or break our American dreams, because in America we have the freedom to forge dreams on our own. Let’s all just take some time to appreciate this historic moment and work toward healing our partisan divides.

Christopher Wee
LSA junior

Stolen picnic table indicative of mean streak in students

Something horrible happened to me and my housemates on Tuesday last week: Our picnic table was stolen, from our front lawn, with every single one of us in the house — at 9 p.m. This troubles me, and I’ll tell you some reasons why.

First, stealing is wrong. I never thought that it would occur to someone to steal an 8-foot piece of furniture from a bunch of girls. Apparently I was wrong.

Second, this was a picnic table, and not exactly an easy one to carry. This means that at least two really mean people got together with the express intent of taking my picnic table that I drove three hours to pick up after buying it on Craigslist. It’s not like we don’t share our picnic table with anyone who wants to sit on it. On nice days, I’ve come home to neighbors doing homework on the picnic table, and we’ve always made it available for strangers to sit on during the Nightmare on Elm Street block party (except this year, because it was stolen). If these thieves thought it was a cool picnic table, they could have sat on it anytime they wanted.

Finally, we were home, meaning that the people who stole it had the audacity to be mean when we were around, which worries me about what they might do when I’m not around. I know the economy is in the hole, and college students do things they shouldn’t, but I just want whoever took our picnic table to know they made me and my housemates really, really, really sad. Also, if someone down your block got a new picnic table in the past week, please punch them in the face and then politely ask them to return my picnic table.

Geneva Shaunette
Kinesiology senior