Daily is ‘misguided’ on Social Security privatization

To the Daily:

In regard to the Daily’s editorial (A misguided vision, 02/03/2005), it is nice to see that the Daily’s new editorial staff is still as liberal and misguided as ever. As of today, Social Security is one of the worst investments the U.S. taxpayer is required to make. Every summer when I receive my paycheck, I cringe at the fact that some $32 of my hard-earned money is going into a system from which theoretically, in 50 years, I will receive $32.30 in return. I don’t know what makes liberals so excited about a 1 percent return rate, but for some reason, it just doesn’t turn me on. At this point in history, the likelihood of even receiving that money is incredibly minute. A financial advisor for Raymond James once told me, “You are more likely to see a UFO than the money you are investing into Social Security.” When the program was initiated after the Great Depression, it was efficient enough so that 10 workers could share the load of one retiree. In the near future, one worker will have to bear the load of two retirees. The Daily and liberals alike try to paint the picture that private investment is defined as going to the casino or racetrack and investing taxes. The private investments under President Bush’s plan would be secure investments that could yield a far greater return than the meager 1-percent Social Security returns right now. These investments would dump billions of dollars into the U.S. economy and do nothing else but fortify our fiscal strength for the future. Please stop insulting the average taxpayer’s intelligence and hard work by acting so ignorant.

William Kerridge

Engineering sophomore

Only organ donors should receive organ transplants

To the Daily:

Your story about the Gift of Life competition (Organ donor battle expands, 02/01/2005) highlighted the tragic shortage of human organs for transplant operations. More than half of the people who need an organ transplant in the United States die before they get one. Most of these deaths are needless. Americans bury or cremate thousands of life-saving organs every year. More than 6,000 of our neighbors suffer and die needlessly every year as a result.

There is a simple solution to the organ shortage — give organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs when they die.

Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to sign donor cards. It will also make the organ allocation system more fair. About 70 percent of the organs transplanted in the United States go to people who haven’t agreed to donate their own organs when they die. People who are too lazy or too selfish to register as organ donors shouldn’t be eligible for transplants, as long as there is a shortage of organs.

Anyone who wants to donate his organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers. LifeSharers is a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. They do this through a form of directed donation that is legal in all 50 states and under federal law. Anyone can join for free at www.lifesharers.com. LifeSharers has 2,878 members, including 59 members in Michigan.

David J. Undis

The letter writer is the executive director for Lifesharers