Behind the celebration was two years of student work

The dramatic images of partying students on the front page of Wednesday’s Daily were exciting, but slightly misleading. Students didn’t simply show up to the Diag to beat on drums and shout “yes we can” joyfully into the night. In the hours, days and months before Tuesday, many had canvassed, called, knocked, cajoled, blogged, debated and ultimately voted in record numbers. Barack Obama’s victory was a joint effort by a resounding majority of the American people. Students did their part, making countless sacrifices in time, money and effort to turn an unlikely candidate trailing Hillary Clinton by double digits into the charismatic leader who routed John McCain in the general election Tuesday.

It would be impossible to post any one picture that could possibly do justice to the sacrifices and effort of students in the effort to elect Obama. Yet it’s worth remembering that behind all the celebration that we see in the media, there was an unbelievable amount of hard work by students and young people. America’s youth came out at a time when our country needed it most to help bring change and turn the page on eight years of failed policies and decades of political alienation and apathy. Rest assured, we were up to the challenge.

Avi Bhuiyan
LSA junior

Save your Obama criticisms for when he is governing

In the final days before the election, to my disgust, I had many friends state that if John McCain won they would move to Canada. As a proud American citizen, I think it’s important to remember that regardless of who won the election, it’s important to support the new leader of the free world. If McCain won, I would have done my best my best to hold back my criticisms until he made a mistake, and I’m choosing to do the same with Barack Obama.

In that spirit, I would like to recommend to the soldier (an acquaintance of mine) in Iraq who posted on Facebook, “I was in Iraq when America died” and any other person who holds similar sentiments about this election but can’t cope with Tuesday’s results: get over this quickly. Find comfort that Obama is a clever, well-spoken intellectual. In fact, he is more than likely the savior and leader America needs right now.

Ali Thompson
Engineering senior

A disappointing election, and a worse realization

I headed over to a College Republicans event Tuesday night around 9 p.m., full of high hopes, but not exactly expecting my desired outcome. Still, election night is like the NCAA basketball tournament, except with political maps instead of brackets — regardless of the outcome, it would be exciting. That is, until the votes came in, when swing state after swing state went Barack Obama’s way. Excitement quickly turned to disappointment, and around midnight, I left with my friend.

On the way back, I walked through the Diag and a group of more than 75 students stampeded toward us, so I decided to walk right at them. I heard my share of “asshole” and “sucks to be you” from those who noticed my John McCain sticker, and a few of them even ran right into me. It was interesting watching everyone go crazy around here. I wish I could have pretended to be happy. Alas, Obama is now the man, and I wish him well. Conservatism in Ann Arbor remains decidedly up against the wall.

Andrew Lorelli
LSA senior