Addiction is a major health issue in this country, affecting people addicted to substances and those around them.

But what happens when a substance abuser stops using? Is there a magic cure to fix the entire stigma that surrounds the fact that they’re in recovery from drugs and alcohol? Many people in recovery would probably say no. But at the University, this is where our student organization, Students for Recovery, steps in. One of our main goals is to reduce the stigma that people in recovery are bad or wrong, and assert that addiction is a disease that can affect anyone, anywhere, with any kind of background.

A recent Daily article was meant to bring to light Students for Recovery, and the article did that for the most part (New group aims to help student addicts, 10/07/2009). The only problem is that the title of the piece is not sensitive to people in recovery by using the term “student addicts.” The word “addict” is not culturally sensitive to this population because of the negative connotation it comes with, yet the editors chose this specific word to catch the reader’s attention. I believe it did catch some attention, but not necessarily in a positive way.

Also, the Students for Recovery group is not only aimed to help students in recovery, but also students who support them and students who just want a sober alternative to all the pressure to drink and use in college. The title does not convey this idea.

Although the article was very positive toward the organization, I feel the heading should have been more sensitive toward people in recovery. Technically speaking, wouldn’t a “student addict” be a person who is addicted to school?

Ashley Dominique
School of Social Work