Jason Mahakian’s latest comic is the height of irony and exemplifies the smug but ignorant mentality of many in the University community (The greater good, 04/06/2009).

In it, a “bright” young woman addresses an archetypal stoner. “We’re raising money for cancer! What are you guys doing?” “Ummm…smokin’ weed, man,” the Hash Bash-attending burnout sheepishly answers. A question to the reader is posed: “One day, one campus. Two great causes?” The implication is that legalizing cannabis is frivolous in comparison to fund-raising for cancer. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It has been known to science since at least the early ’70s that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is an extraordinarily powerful anti-tumor agent. Recent research has confirmed this by finding that THC injected directly into rat brains shrinks brain tumors. Anecdotal evidence suggests that ingesting cannabis oil can reverse even advanced cancer, as seen in the documentary “Run From the Cure: The Rick Simpson Story.”

Clearly, cannabis is among the most promising cancer therapies in the world. Unless the American Cancer Society is working to legalize medical cannabis and educating people about the power of THC to reduce tumors, they are probably preventing patients from getting a highly effective, non-toxic therapy.

Does the young lady in the comic become an unwitting dupe of those who would suppress natural cancer treatments? Does our stoner friend unknowingly represent the vanguard of the search for a cure? Wipe that smirk off your face and stop rolling your eyes long enough to research the science of cannabis as medicine and find out for yourself.

Kyle Stupple
Staff