To the Daily:

I am perplexed by Patrick O’Mahen’s statement that “the seven-year anniversary of the start of the Iraq War passed without much fanfare” (Keeping the war close to home 03/22/2010). Indeed, if he had checked the online version of The Michigan Daily, he would know that students, faculty and community members gathered on the edge of campus to mark this anniversary (Peace rally raises awareness about war in Iraq anniversary, 03/22/10). (Full disclosure: I am one of the Michigan Peaceworks organizers of the “What is the Price of War?” demonstration and was quoted in the article.) At the same time, 10,000 people marched on Washington D.C. and many smaller events were held in cities and towns throughout the country. These events, like our own, received little media attention. That does not, however, mean they did not take place.

I am equally perplexed as to why the editors of the Daily found it more important to include pieces about a Pokemon video game and a California underwear race in the print edition than to include the very well-written article about the protest. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost nearly a trillion dollars and hundreds of thousands of lives. But neither of these issues received any coverage in the print edition of the Daily even though they are of paramount importance.

The Daily did include an article about the passage of 3-percent cuts to higher education by the Michigan State Senate (State Senate cmte. passes bill to cut higher education funding, 03/22/10). Ironically, this was the very connection that our rally was trying to make. When hundreds of billions of dollars are diverted to war and defense spending, inevitably less funds will be returned to states for funding domestic needs, including higher education.

Elizabeth Entwistle
Rackham