I love Michigan. I love the people I’ve met here, the experiences I’ve had here and, most of all, I love Michigan football. Not 10 minutes after the clock ran out against Ohio State, my Facebook newsfeed was littered with comments like “Rich Rod is blowing up all kinds of records” and “What a fabulous record-breaking season” on their statuses. My status said that I was “proud to be a Michigan Wolverine.”

We all should be proud to be Wolverines, no matter what the scoreboard says. Did we honestly think we could completely change our style of play and compete for a Big Ten title after just one season? This was a rebuilding year in every sense, and Michigan fans need to be patient. I’m confident we’ll be back atop the Big Ten soon. But with a winning tradition that has run deep for 129 years, we need to realize that seasons like this one will happen.

While this year’s men in maize and blue didn’t perform nearly as well as past teams, we should focus on the positives.

The Michigan defense held both Penn State and Ohio State, two of the best offenses in the country, to 14 points in each first half. Let’s thank Michigan’s defensive coordinator Scott Shafer for that. And Michigan sacked Terrell Pryor, who was averaging 50 rushing yards a game, three times. That gave him a grand total of negative 7 yards rushing. Thank you Mike Barwis for the speed and conditioning training that made that happen. And thank you, Zoltan Mesko for never ceasing to amaze me when you punt the ball into orbit. And thank you Rich Rodriguez for sticking with this team.

Next season will bring better things. So reset your Ohio State countdown clock, proudly wear your maize and blue and remember everything that makes Michigan the absolute best place to be.

Adam Mael
LSA sophomore