Christians can support tax cuts without angering God

To the Daily:

In his Friday column (Would the real Christians please stand up?, 10/24/2005), Jesse Singal seemed to write that Christians cannot be in favor of tax cuts. In the column, he writes, “Christ, if his words are any indication, wasn’t about people helping themselves; he was more interested in people helping people.” This seems to go hand in hand with what Christian groups want. People helping people, not government helping people. Many Christians don’t see the job of helping those in need as the government’s problem; they see it as their own.

Secondly, while in the middle of writing about economics, Singal discretely adds, “Christianity is used as a gay-bashing weapon of judgment and division.” I transferred to the University last year, since then I’ve been told by many fellow students that Christianity is bigoted toward homosexuality and that as a Christian, I am an intolerant person. They are right – most sects of Christianity are unaccepting of homosexuality and see it as a sin. The same Christians see most things humans do as sinful. That’s the point of Christianity – that no one is perfect and that God needs to save us. Most Christians don’t see homosexuality as more or less sinful than heterosexual acts outside of marriage, yet Christians are constantly viewed as only close-minded toward homosexuals. Why aren’t they also considered “straight-bashers” or “lust-bashers?” Please stop insulting Christians by calling them bigots for their religious beliefs about what they see as right and wrong. It’s not as if they have just singled out homosexuals; they see everyone (including themselves) as sinful.

Finally, Singal writes, “Politics should be completely atheistic.” If religion plays an important part in someone’s life, why shouldn’t that be examined by the electorate? Certainly, a candidate’s track record and performance should be considered too, but some would argue that a candidate’s religion plays an integral part in a politician’s decision making, especially in cases where there is no track record.

Singal writes that it is incoherent for Christians to be in favor of tax cuts or for a Christian politician to make decisions based on his faith. Many Christians would rather people choose whether to give to the poor instead of being forced to by the government.

Remember, the greatest philanthropists were the richest in the country. If a politician wants to make decisions based on the foundations of peace and love of Christianity, I don’t think that goes against America’s values.

Carl Paulus

LSA senior